Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited

Since some projects here are big and independent, maybe you could make them be able to be in a single .swf file (so you could play game offline without opening it in editor and share like common games)?

By the way, local-saved phyards don`t seem to be openable.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited

local-saving bug is fixed now. This bug is caused by a flash bug but it can be avoid.
    This bug doesn't exist in the standalone player.

There is a design packaging feature in developing.
    I originally planed to release it at the end of this month.
    But there are still some problems, so its release date is delayed now.

This packaging feature supports packaging one or many levels in an individual swf file.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011

Maybe a "Get CIF/Phyard account name" option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

I requested the cheap mobile phone editor a lot time ago, and now I'm requesting support for more expensive ones.

(url)

EDITED WITH GIMP, NOT ACTUAL EDITOR.

The problem is the ci editor sets to the size of the screen so you cant scroll the actual page, you cant fit it to the full screen (testing anotherbrowser now)
    well seems that this is not a have-to feature. Can be used however, with my sgs.

But, It's good in-editor scrolling is possible.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

yes, ci editor will support expensive new mobile devices, but very possible not support old mobile devices.
    iPhone and android devices are the main devices to be supported.

It is a good news it is runnable on Samsung Galaxy S, or android devices.
    I will put more attentions for mobile devices later when designing the UI and human-machine interactive.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited

Old phones don't support flash, or if they do, then just "flash lite" which sucks.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011 edited

My new flash player on android keeps getting errors in ci...
    Oh well its phyard maintenance-----------------
    • CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011 edited

Tapir...
    I've just realized that the editor is quite hard to understand for newcomers.
    These who wants to make quick fun games doesn't have much possibilities currently.
    So I have a couple of suggestions to make.

Firstly, you should focus on non-programming aspects of the editor, to make it more friendly to new users.
    These are some features you could implement to improve the editor's understanding:

Quick settings editing windows
    Having to go to the settings pannel everytime you want to make a change to a shape can be quite time-taking.
    So we could have quick-setting windows, that we can drag around and hide/show, where we can edit a setting and see the results immediately, without hitting any "Ok" button. This would be a great feature to implement with the big UI change you've mentioned before. ;)

Programmable Custom Components
    This is something I've been dreaming for a while, but I'm not sure if it will be possible:
    Being able to program our own custom components buttons, that works at editing time.
    I realize that this would take a lot of time to program, and that the results are still the same than programming the components manually... but it would be a very important feature to have.
    How this would be implemented? I have not much ideas. Maybe it could be some sort of "Editing triggers" system, with special APIs such as "Add Shape to Stage", "Add Triggers to Stage", "Add Settings Parameter", "Make Shape Editable?" (allow resizing, vertex moving...), etc. Also, there would be special event handlers such as "On Shape Created", "On Shape Settings Validated" and so on.
    Is there any possibility for this feature to be added?-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011

yes, MCC, you are right. The 2 requests are very important for the survival of CI editor and phyard.com.
    I will branch the 2.0+ development soon. There will no big features to be added in version phi.
    Both the 2 features are not very hard to implemented from programming view, but there are many details to change and many potential bugs will pop up.
    I will not make a deadline for the v2.0. But the more and more intense competitions will force me to make it out sooner. In fact, CI editor is behind some competitors in some aspects.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited

I think phyard and tapir have a few aces for new members, just use them.
    - Free editor. Thats why I left Games Factory 2. (Free trial)
    - growing possibilities
    - open source design editing - will be and is useful
    - triggers and other command stuff.

There are more that just don't come to my mind.
    And btw... I don't think Everybody Edits is a competitor. If there was possibility to have server hosting it would be possible to make a similar game in the editor.

And btw2 we should make a "your first design" tutorial.
    Keep the good work up!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

:)

I know CI editor is far easy to use, especially the programming part.

And for the competitors, there are many: gamesalad, Fantastic Contraption, the incredibots, ....
    Gamesalad has get many invest money to support its developement and Fantastic Contraption is earning moeny now.

"your first design" tutorial? great, I'm very glad if you can help me make some simple tutorials, especially video tutorials.
    I just found making tutorials is not easiser than making a level. :)-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

Well, as Firemil pointed out, the Phyard/Color Infection Editor has already a lot of incredible features that our soon-to-be-new members will surely love!
    I just wanted to point out some of the weak aspects of the editor, as constructive criticism. =)
    But really, although there do are some aspects where the editor is "behind some competitors", there are many others that is, from my point of view, unbeatable.
    Besides the free/non-free part (which is really a matter of merchandise), the large amount of possibilites is indeed one of the editor's strong points... there are little (none?) other flash game editors that offers such a big variety of creation types.
    It's open-source system and member collaboration community is something I've always loved about the game as well.

But of course, all of this would've never be possible if Tapir didn't spend 2 and a half years working on the editor... and if this community wouldn't have been supported by our members for so long.
    This is the reason why I feel compelled to point out and help as I can to adjust these important aspects of the editor and the community, an attitude that I try to apply when I remember, and I think we all should assimilate.
    We're on a critical fase right now; let's not forget that the CIF->Phyard passage is going to bring a lot of complications, and, mainly, changes. Do we want changes? Which changes do we want, which not, which are inevitable and which can be prevented? How do we switch from a friendly small forum to an uncertain massive-traffic community? What we plant now is what we're going to harvest tomorrow.
    I just wanted to say, I know the effort we're putting into this has lowered as time passed, but now more than never we all have to support this. Let's not bring down this wonderful community after all of us have worked on it for so many time. ;)

----------------------------

I'm sorry for the long, off-topic text, but it is something that I thought too important to not be commented out! ;)-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited

Oh, yes, I the tutorials!
    I have one started in the wiki (what is done already is pretty much nothing =( ), but forgot to keep working on it.
    I've been thinking to insert small videos within a text+level tutorials, in order to have a visual aid instead of complicated explanatory parts.
    I'm now on vacation, and I'm not a very outgoing person, so I have no excuse for not finishing this within the next week.
    Everything I need is somebody that yells at me something like "Don't be lazy, MCC - get your butt here and finish these tutorials!!"
    Preferably, though, it'd be nice to have somebody to assist me in the making of them. Anyway, just a yell from time to time will do. :P-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011

Android bug: cc/custom function buttons not shown.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011

The button of switch to "cc view" and "code lib view"
    or
    the button of creating ccat and function
    ?

I need to make more focus seriously on the mobile platform now.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited

(url)

Things in this box not shown-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011

I see.
    It is because your phone screen is to small?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011 edited

well, usually phones don't have much bigger screen; 480 x 800 pixels. But I recommend editor to be in horizontal, 800 x 480.

So I think my screen isn't too small, editor's too big xD.
    But yes it is too small.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

thanks for your information.-----------------
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011 edited

Aah, how about Batch Modify Text Components Properties?
    It'd be especially useful for me, considering many of my levels utilize many text entities.
    ---
    Anti-repost.
    Although I have requested this before, is it possible to add something that tells us what While loop is looping infinitely and crashing the level?
    This would greatly help me, as I use While loops extremely often and extensively, utilizing them for more complex tasks.
    ----
    Anti-repost, again.
    Lastly, I'd like something that tells us the size of our files, so that I don't have to constantly worry about going over the file size limit and know exactly when I can't add anything more. :)-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

Another flaw:you cant right click on mobile phone.
    + you can't link entity handlers.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

There will be a special separated mobile version for there are many differences between pc and mobile devices.

@Xyuzhg,
    there will be a "trigger system in editing" feature. When this feature is done, you can write some custom commands such as modified the properties of all selected text entites.

There will be many debug features to be added, such as variable inspector, calling stack trace, etc.

I will add the length of playcode in the offline saving dialog. The file size saved on phyard is about 3/4 of the length of playcode.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

I was thinking that when you select a shape a quick access menu pops up in the bottom right with in that lots of data you often change like: Density, Friction, Restitution, Backgroundcolor, X Coördinate, Y Coördinate, Radius, Width and Height and in that menu you can easely change the data of the selected shape. This can spare lots of time. You also should be able to minimise it if it's in your way.

Also I think it should be somehow possible to change the X and Y Coördinates of every dot of a Polygon and Polyline with the numbers nstead of just dragging the dots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011

@ vanderwaal
    your second request is already doable using the api's provided,
    it is also do-able by directly editing the source code
    (both slightly complicated methods, only use if nessessary haha)

but i agree it should be made simpler within the editor to change these locations :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I will add the vertex position setting dialog.

For the first requests, I will implement it in the v2.0+ vesions.-----------------

Oh, for the variable inspector debug features, can we track the variables for every line of code, as opposed to every step?
    I'm still having trouble finding where my level freezes, so I need to know the values of all the variables at every line of code.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I will try to implement it, :)
    But it is very possible the debug features will be not implemented before v2.0-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

Currently, you can output some texts in a text entity to trace the code.-----------------

That is what I have been doing the past year. :P
    Unfortunately, this method is really time consuming.
    Well, I'm glad that at the very least it might be implemented :)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

v2.0 is not far away. :)-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011 edited

In the studio, can we always have one empty slot (if we have one) available from the first screen?
    That is, once we enter our studios, we would be able to directly access an empty slot, rather than having to search for one first.
    ---
    Oh!
    Can you expand the text allowed to include more obscure symbols like ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟, or the chess pieces symbols?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

chess pieces symbols is nothing special.
    They are can't be displayed well on your computer?

I will add a "create a design" command on the studio page.

btw, the "load latest revision" bug is fixed, just for v1.57.-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011 edited

This'll hopefully be the last of my chain requests ;D
    This time, how about an Array + Array function?
    I can do it manually, but it takes up a rather annoying amount of time/cycles.-----------------
    •  

@Xyuzhg
    Make a custom function about it, and it will be the last time you use your time for it. If you ask Tapir to do it for you, it will take longer.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

@Xyuzhg
    do you mean a simple "merge 2 arrays" function, or "get the union of 2 arrays" without duplicated elements?

I just uploaded a revision with a "Concat Arrays" function, which will simply "merge 2 arrays".-----------------

Not much time taken, eh? :P
    Well, I did make my own efficient Array + Array function in about 5 minutes, which is Tapir's "Merge 2 arrays", just for the sake of simplicity.
    It seems it is not needed anymore. ;D

I'm really looking forward to those debugging functions!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

I will try to implement them sooner.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonkey
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

Make an api, wich is much like one cell in microsoft exel! You can add numbers and mathematical symbols, but instead of referring to cells, you choose from lists of number register. That would make programming very much easier!

And a setting for the "on shape start contacting" event handler which is "on shape first contact." That would remove the bugs in my new level I've called color infection extended. (I need an other name for it... Any ideas?)-----------------
    If the infinite is impossible, how can the universe be infinite? Do we live in something that can't excist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

do you means 2-dimension array?
    Currently, you can make a 2-dimension with the currnt array APIs, but it is some trivial.

do you want to use the 2-dimension array to record if 2 shapes have ever contacted?

For the color infection extended cases, I think in fact you want to avoid producing contacts too frequently between 2 shapes, instead of always to avoid the contacts between them.
    I have one solution for this:
    1. create a "Last Contacted Shape" and "Last Contact Step" custom entity variables.
    2. in the contact event handlers, check if shape 2 is shape 1's "Last Contacted Shape". If the result is true, check if "CurrentStep - Last Contact Step" is less than 3.
    if it is still true, then don't exchange color..
    3. set shape 1's "Last Contacted Shape" as shape 2, sett shape 2's "Last Contacted Shape" as shape 1, set CurrentStep as "Last Contact Step" for the both shapes.

When the custom value type is implemented, there will be more solutions.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonkey
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

I guess that that's what I'm looking for! I'll take a look at it!-----------------
    If the infinite is impossible, how can the universe be infinite? Do we live in something that can't excist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011

I hope if the Registers, ALL OF THEM, to have an independent page like CCs and Custom Functions.
    That way its easier to manage 20+ registers at a moment.
    I'm facing disadvantages getting scrolled on that list for my card game with 35 registers!
    I hope if there is a page where we set registers like assigning CCs.
    It would be much simplier! :P
    Well, like, if number variables have blue backgrounds and Global variables have thicker borders, etc.
    ~~~~~
    Well. I just wanted it. It is not quite important, so ignore it anyways.
    But afterall, it would be better for me to code my Card Game in this way... I need lots of slots for Player status! :)-----------------
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011

I agree a lot with Vincent.
    For example, my Chess AI has (I'm guessing) around 70 registers, in and out of the CFs!
    It's extremely tedious to manage them.

But I also have my own request/reminder.
    When can you add the feature that allows us to import images into our levels?
    This would really help for something, as I have some very awesome ideas in mind....-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011

I agree with both you two.
    About the "registers", you mean "variables", right?
    Yes, I have rough implementation view similar with yours.
    I will do it when I get a mature implementation idea.

Import images. Ok it will be next big feature. :)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011 edited

Mature IdeA? Do you mean, the outlook?
    Made a brief demo.
    Check it!

(url)

(url)

Does that give you any hint?

Didnt toke long... Probably could help. I shouldve blurred my design thou.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011

Thanks for these hints.

The v2.0+ editor will introduce the concept "Asset".
    Entities, CCats , funcions, variables, sounds, images, ..., are all assets.
    About the UI design, I will make more considerations for mobile apps.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011

v2.0?
    So soon? :D
    Much to expect from you, Tapir...-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011

yes, the road to version Euler will be started. :)-----------------
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011

Wonderful! Looks like my hopes are coming to reality faster than I expected. :P

Heh, and after version Euler, how about version Pi? :P-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011

Hi,
    I'm requesting copy and paste, implemented in some way. My best ideas always fall because there is no copy and paste.
    With this one little thing we could make big save files... and so, we could make advanced editors in the editor. Let me explain what I mean:

1. I make an animator design
    2. Somebody makes a long animation in it
    3. He saves it: he opens Notepad and starts typing: But, the animation save file includes 200 symbols, coded, so he wont even have all the letters on his keyboard. He has to type in every single symbol without even the smallest failure in notepad. This takes very long, and with copy and paste, it would have took 2 seconds. He saves the file, copy's the text and submits it in the comments so everybody else could watch it too.
    4. Somebody wants to see the animation: he has to type in 200 symbols correctly. It takes a long time. With copy and paste, 2 seconds.

The same with: saving car ghosts, custom levels, anything.

If you still dont understand, go to http://onemorelevel.com/game/free_ri... It's Free Rider. Draw a level. Save, and think if you couldn't just hit the copy button, you would have to write all of it yourself.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011

Yeah, just like the Text Input conditions, this is also uite important.
    Copy-N-Paste can also gives ecypted codes of levels so data sharing is more fair. And square.-----------------