Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011

Yes, the Export to Clipboard and Import from Clipboard functions are also some of the longest-standing requests in this forum.
    Unfortunately, before that, I think we should prioritize stabilizing this forum's members...
    Well, anyway! I have a request of my own.
    Currently, if the name of an input/output variable is too long for a Custom Function to display in one line, it ends it and adds '...' to the end.
    Can you make it so that it does not do this and instead goes to a second (or even third) line?-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011

The variable view panel will be redesigned, just like the new coming other asset view panels.

I will add copy/paste in playing as sooner as possible.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011

If you will add Dropbox support, you should add a save/load txt file (as string) system. That way we could even do online games (not "live" online games though)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

The v1.57 has already support save to/load from local files.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

1.57? The current one? How?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

In the [Save offline] Feature, Firemil...-----------------
    •  

No, I mean text we can load as string variables.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

That's impossible to save local disks while runtime.-----------------
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011 edited

Hey, it's been a pretty long time since the last physics-related request.
    How about a section of a circle, that is, a circular sector, as a new shape?
    I'm fine with not having it, but it would be pretty interesting to include in my goldbergs.

Also, I think it might be good to have some keyboard shortcuts for the trigger system.
    For example, an If statement might be 'i', a While statement can be 'w', the EndIf and EndWhile as 'e', Break as 'b', Return as 'r', an blank line as '(space)', etc.

Lastly, I think there should be a sidebar of sorts that you can see in runtime (in the editor) that shows the values of every variable at all times.
    I've requested this before, but this is a bit simpler.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011

The code editing panel will be redesigned.

More non-basic shapes will be supported later.
    I will implement them when the image module is done.-----------------

Oh!
    A basic, yet unusual request:
    Can you make it so that a hollow circle is actually a hollow circle not just for other entities, but for mouse clicks, APIs, etc.?
    For example, if you click inside a hollow circle, the Mouse Event (Shape) event handler should not be called, as it is empty space there.
    Also, if Get Physics Shapes At Point is called for a point inside the hollow circle while not on its border, the array of entities should not include the circle.

It'd save me some time and trouble if you can do this. ;)-----------------
    •  

@vincent
    I have not said a single word about local disk. I'm talking about dropbox, online server.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011

Buahahahahhahahaa. Crazy minds.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited

@Xyuzhg,
    The first 6 mouse event types are shape appearance based. The last 2 are physics based.
    So for a physics hollow shape but still with background shown, the on-click event will still be triggered when you click on it.
    If you don't want the click event to be triggered, you can use the last 2 physics based shape mouse event types instead.

The "Get Physics Shapes At Point" will only return physics-enabled shapes. If it is not, there should be a bug in it.
    But I can't reproduce it.-----------------
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011

Oh!
    I'm sorry.
    I didn't look at it carefully enough.
    Well then, I have no more requests.-----------------
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

How about a Fix/Unfix Rotation command?
    It may prove useful.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

Ooh! Nice idea! Then we should also have Is fixed? command!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

Ok, I will add it soon.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

I uploaded a new build.-----------------

Oh, thanks for the quick update!
    Under 3 hours... :P-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

How quick :P-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited

hey Tapir, i don't think its too much to ask so i hope it can be done quickly,
    but i'd like either a scroll bar on the image module box, OR the ability to re-size the box... OR both :P
    this would be very helpful because i have a lot of images as well as free divides that it makes it hard to reach if they are off screen :/
    and the same thing for the Free Divide window... for larger images it leaves part of the image off screen and unreachable :/
    • CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011

Though the box can not be resized, you do can resize each of the individual pannels by taking space from the other ones.
    However, you already CAN scroll the images by holding down Shift while clicking and dragging up and down. ;)

I'm guessing you already know that you can shrink/enlarge the image icons by using the mouse wheel.-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011

I just added CTRL+Wheel to scroll.

I will add the change dialog size function when the android app packager is done.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited

thanks Tapir, but actually i don't use the wheel because im on my laptop, which doesn't have a wheel like a mouse so i did not know this MCC xD but thx :P, and its difficult to scroll xD but i can do it now thanks Tapir :)
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011

@Bio
    I'm not sure, but I think if you zoom out with two fingers, it is the same.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012

now the asset manager dialogs can be resized.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

hey Tapir, with regards to the API from Shape -> Geometry -> Set Poly Shape World Vertex Positions,
    i'd like to request additional input options for that, such as two arrays, one for X and one for Y, instead of the X,Y,X,Y,X,Y that it's currently at

also, i've started working on the mirror reflection level i started but with proper infinate length reflections, but... sometimes i have runtime errors,
    i'd like to request that the "runtime error" whatever it is that determines it, comes sooner, sometimes i wait around 4 minutes before it happens,
    also, another idea, perhaps a "force stop" button, which i think may have been proposed already? something like "press escape to force stop the level simulation" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

Agreed with BioManiac. I mentioned that sometimes the editor stops simulating when there is very long loop, even if it`s not infinite, and, I think, you increased the time of waiting, so it is annoying when you have a mistake in loop so it never ends and you have to wait for a long time (shorter than 4 minutes, I think. Somewhere about 1 minute). You can make allow us to choose the time of waiting, or at least short/long time, or think of something else...-----------------
    LD35!
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

The problem with that is if Flash crashes, it won't be able to respond to the force stop.
    My suggestion is a 'Safe Mode', where there once the computation time for one step reaches a threshold number, an additional amount of time is allotted (for the same step) to finish the APIs being called, if possible.

For example, if you have a While loop that has six lines of code and only breaks after 1000 loops (6000 lines total), and if the Safe Mode threshold is set at 1000 lines, only the first 1000 lines of code (167 loops) will be read during actual runtime, at which point the game 'pauses' for a moment, then continues reading the code at 1000 lines per unit of time until the code finishes.

A text visual of a possible situation (threshold number 1000):

.______________Time (arbitrary units):__0__|__1__|__2__|__3__|__4__|__5__|__6__|__7__|__8__|__9__|_10__|__11_|
    ._____________________Steps/frames:__1__|__2__|__3__|__4__|__5__| _<--_|__6__| _<--_| _<--_| _<--_| _<--_| __7 _|
    Total lines of code to be read this step: __40_ |_329_|_201_|_823_|_1923|_<--_ |_4341| _<--_| _<--_ |_<--_| _<--_|_512_| etc.
    _______Lines of code read this interval:__40_|_329_|_201_|_823_|1000_|_923_|_1000|_1000|_1000|_1000|_341_|_512_|

As you can see, the remaining lines after the 1000th are 'pushed' onto the next unit of time.
    Of course, there should be something that tells us if the Safe Mode anti-crashing mechanism activates.
    We should also be able to set the threshold level.

I think that if this is implemented, it will not only be a more powerful solution to the 'force stop', but also a great way to avoid lag in our games.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

@BioManiac R2,
    currently, you can write a custom function to use separated X and Y arrays.
    sorry, currently, I will avoid adding functions that are not very basic.
    There is bottleneck to overcome in the piapia language design now. The language will be changed much later.

About the freezing problem in playing, it is mainly caused by the fact that Flash doesn't support multiple threads. And the solution xyuzhg provided is much harder to implement than it looks.

There are 2 possible reasons to freeze a game. One is caused by passing some NaN (not a number) values to box2d. This freezing case is hard to resolve.
    Another one is caused by dead loop in piapia language programming. I will add a setting in the editor to limit the number of loops in one simulation step.
    If the number of loops in a simulation step exceeds the setting, the simulation will be stopped.

btw, I just uploaded a new build, with the ray cast APIs added. Please see the bottom 3 APIs in this page: http://wiki.colorinfection.com/index...-----------------
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

Oh, these are some incredibly use APIs!
    ...BioManiac might be just a little bit annoyed, considering the work he put into Splitter. :P

Well, that solution I proposed I also thought might be difficult to implement.
    The loop-ending method is much better.
    However, instead of terminating the simulation, how about simply stopping the simulation at that point and giving us an error message?
    Then, we can simply press the 'Stop' button to end the simulation ourselves.
    It would be useful to know exactly when (and indirectly why) a problem occurred, you see.

---

"[3] and [4] are the normal of the intersection surface of the shape entity. [5] is the fraction of the intersection point"

By 'normal', do you mean the surface normal? If so, this is exactly what I have been looking for.
    And what do you mean by 'the fraction of the intersection point'?

Thanks for these APIs anyway.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

Yes, the normal is the normal of the surface at the intersection point.
    (The Intersection Point) = (Start Point) * (1 - fraction) + (End Point) * fraction

Here is example for the ray cast APIs. Please drag a line cross the bottom shapes to show the result.

-----------------
    •  

Just now. It won`t work. It says "Loading error", and the same for all projects. I`m using: Firefox 9.0.1, Windows 7 64 bit (I think bits are problem. On other computer (32 bit, everything else is same) it works).-----------------
    LD35!
    •  

Get Chrome, you'll get all the important add-ons-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

This is a weird problem.
    If it is true, it would be a bug of Flash Player.

"Loading error" occurs when start playing a level?
    Both online and offline?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

...or was i needed to update the flash player?.. :-S sorry for making you worry.
    [edit]But HEY, it says 64-bit player, while on another computer it doesn`t say so. I think my player was up-to-date, it just was the wrong one... (but HEY, how could it be 32-bit one one 64-bit computer? It should be initially 64-bit one i think.)[/edit]-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Since you are going to remove(change) play bar, can you make zooming designs in editor in runtime for easier testing? And some hotkey for "Do 1 step" button would be useful in case mouse position is important when testing (when you click "Do 1 step" button, you move mouse away and the step passes with your mouse away)-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

No, the play bar will not be removed, instead, it will be shown forcefully.

I will add "Do 1 step" hot key in the next version.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I just uploaded a new build with the hot key F to step one frame in playing in editor.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

And shift plus F for 100 steps?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

Are you going to force us to use playbar? (that was a joke) Because when i hide play bar of "ItMOtR" ( ), the player never stops walking, even if i release the key.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

Sorry, it is a bug.
    I haven't intended to apply the change yet.
    It is fixed now.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

about my request to have more input options on that one API, i understand that i could write a rather simple custom function for it...
    but thinking about a few other factors, such as, if it would require less coding if Tapir had it directly set into the API ? or would the custom function require less code?
    also, i was thinking about how MCC keeps suggesting the tutorials, well, if the API's were very simple and self explanatory, then we would not need tutorials,
    what i mean to say is, the API i was referencing doesn't exactly explain itself that it places (element%2 = 0 ) as X and (element%2 = 1) as Y.
    perhaps Tapir could add this simple explanation on to the API for new users? i think something like this could be done for many API's that are difficult to understand, as well as Collision Categories.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited

@Tapir: "fixed"? Are you sure? (Ok, i found a solution, but that`s just in my case)-----------------
    LD35!
    •  

i've got another request, remove the "cancel" button from the script editor, and the shape editor, etc, remove the cancel button entirely.

i frequently click this button after doing extensive editing and i lose all my work, i propose that instead of cancel, we MUST click OK, OR...
    ...cancel works differently, such that, clicking cancel is the same as clicking OK, but then also clicking the "UNDO" button.
    is this not the same? this way if we ACCIDENTALLY click cancel, we can REDO any changes we ACCIDENTALLY erased :)

EDIT:

hmmm... perhaps this method isn't perfect, since, what if the undo button was already clicked, and a script editor is being viewed in past tence?
    therefore clicking OK, would remove any previous REDO options from existing...
    this strikes another problem i frequently encounter that requires multiple future paths to be remembered by the REDO option....

Perhaps it could be implimented that Tapir allow multiple paths with the UNDO button ??
    for example:

make shape blue -> move shape left -> move shape up -> copy shape -> move copied shape down -> (current state) <-

UNDOx4 would bring upon this past state with multiple (REDO) options:

make shape blue -> (current state) <- move shape left <- move shape up <- copy shape <- move copied shape down

editing here would KEEP the redo options available if wanted, but create an alternate reality

make shape blue -> make shape red -> (current state) <- (new future reality?)
    ..........................................,,,,...( old future reality) <- move shape left <- move shape up <- copy shape <- move copied shape down

this sounds rather easy to implement, since Tapir already has a Stack that contains all of the Redo options,
    editing in a lower part of the stack could simply create a new stack that will hold new paths to a new future

i understand this could require a large amount of space to save, because the number of UNDO in CIE is already limited,
    perhaps a screen where we could chose to save different "states" during editing could be made, as well as we could manually delete unwanted "old undone realities"
    or perhaps the multiple undo options could be compressed, so that only one undo would bring us from a far state into a revious state, such as this follows:

take the previous example:

make shape blue -> move shape left -> move shape up -> copy shape -> move copied shape down -> (current state) <-

compress the multiple undo options into one single large undo option

make shape blue -> [compressed undo] -> current state

then undo and redo would be much easier to handle

make shape blue -> make shape red -> current state <- (new future reality?)
    ........................................................(old future reality) <- [compressed undo]

most of this is just me thinking out loud... but they are ideas i would like you to ponder Tapir and if any of this seams possible please consider it :)
    •  

Tapir, i have another request... this one is rather necessary for me to finish the Light Show game im working on with the extending rectangles...
    view the code in the editor, its rather obvious what i want it to do... but it doesn't stop when it hits a wall :( it does not update the " contacted shapes" between loop iterations :(
    is there a way i could make it update between iterations? because the way i have it now... im unsure if i could make it work otherwise....
    unless you allow me to set rectangle size, but with one fixed end, instead of both ends extending from the center? so... a different original point? ... im not sure what to do :(

• CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)

Hmm...
    The single end extending issue could be fixed using some math, but I don't see how it helps with your problem.
    However, now that you make me remember, I have a feature request I've been wanting for a while that may help you with your problem, in case you wanted to make instant lasers.

Tapir, would it be too hard to add box2d's "Raycast" function as an API?
    If I'm not mistaken, this funcion traces an invisible straight ray from any point of the map in any chosen direction, and if it collides with a determinate physics body, it will return the coordinates of the impact point. This would really come in handy for making Bio's lasers, and I've been needing it for making an instant-shot gun... right now making that is rather hard an inefficient to simulate.
    If you could add such function easily, it would be marvelous. ;)

EDIT: If you're adding the raycast, don't forget to add the "normal vector" as an output!
    Normal vector = capability to program easily reflecting/refracting lasers! ;)-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy

But MCC, isn't that essentially the same as the Get First Incoming Intersection With Line Segment API?
    It's in World/Physics.
    It also has the normal vector in the array output; see below link for more details.

http://wiki.colorinfection.com/index...
    ----
    Or just look at the bottom of the previous page. xD-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

@Madball
    it is not fixed? I checked it, it seems no problem.

@MCC
    as Xyuzhg said, the ray cast API is added already. But the parameter is not a ray but a line segment. The reason is box2d only provides the line segment collision test feature.

@BioManiac R2,
    yes, the GetContactedShapes API for a shape will return a step cached result.
    I will add a world.UpdateContactInfo API and add a parameter "Use Cached Result" for GetContactedShapes API.-----------------