Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012 edited

Hey guys, I just made a quick laser experimental thing.

It's just an example of how one might make a laser. There's a little bug if you use the laser on a rectangle entity, but I think that's because of my own custom function (too lazy to fix :P).-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

@BioManiac R2
    And yes, the undo system is not supported well for recent added new features yet.

Do you mean you need a feature of inserting an undo points in the undo history?
    Currently, the undo system is not implemented by accumulating modifications, instead, each undo point is a whole design file saving in memory.
    Undoing is just to reload a design saving.
    But for whatever implementation, inserting an modification in the undo history hardly always works.

But it is possible to maintain a separated undo history for each composite modules.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)

Xyuzhg... i think you just totally destroyed the updated Light Show game i was working on with that... im going to delete all progress i made now and start with yours...
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012 edited

Oops, sorry. :P
    I wasn't thinking very much about your game while making that.

Back to feature requests.
    Tapir, is it possible to let us play a sound of a specific frequency without having to upload that specific sound?
    That is, we can choose whenever we want to play a 440Hz sound (A) or even a 15000Hz sound.
    In this case, instead of the Play Sound API, we would use Play Sound Frequency, which would have two number inputs instead (frequency, duration).-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

sadly, the short answer is no.

Now, CIE uses the native the mp3 encoder in Flash.
    mp3 is a copyrighted sound format, and Adobe get the license to allow other developers use mp3 files in Flash.
    The native Flash mp3 encoder only support 11k, 22k and 44k sample rate data.

I will try to add some other free sound formats in CIE. So the long answer is yes.-----------------
    • CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited

Ha! Amazing, Xyuzhg!
    I didn't know such API existed already. When was this added exactly? I know I have been absent for a while, so guessing I missed a couple of Tapir's comments...
    Am I missing any other feature here...?

Well, certianly, I'm not getting most of your code since I'm quite tired to think right now and you always overwork the thing to make it really complicated... :P
    ...but I will rediscover your code as I redraw all the picture by myself. :P
    Maybe we can simulate Algodoo's lasers somehow!-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

@BioManiac R2,
    I just uploaded a new buid with the new world.UpdateContactInfo API.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

yay thanks Tapir :D but unfortunatly my computer broke yesterday so i wont be able to use it since i save my source code locally :(
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012

hey Tapir, requesting the ability to access the Array set/get Api's directly from the right click options - along with reg#'s and global#s and similar to the way we can set the custom entity proporties. please and thanks!

this would save from having 2 lines of code such as:
    reg#1 = Get Background Colour [shape]
    Colour Array [0] = reg#1

into simply:
    Colour Array [0] = GetBackground Colour [shape]
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

I think you could do it differently with custom functions. But good idea.-----------------
    •  

oh also Tapir, the world border is simply given entity ID's AFTER you completed your level and finally initiate it....
    can i request we just simply make it default for entity 1,2,3, and 4?
    its rather tedious to have to edit my design EVERY SINGLE TIME i add a shape...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I will add a world.GetNumEntities API.
    Now, you can use this custom function to get the first border entity.

For the array APIs, there will be a large redesign in the coming versions.-----------------
    •  

Thanks Tapir :D
    although until you have the API i'll just use my guess and check method to simplify the code,
    i dont want to use custom functions that large for what im making,
    that function is almost the same siZe as the rest of the code xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012

i want to see some sort of way to make multiplayer games but i think thats too hard to make real-----------------
    (insert good signature here)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

@Builder: Tapir can make (I remember he said it, but I don't remember what exactly) saving data online. With real-time saving a loading one can even make a MMO game. But that would be difficulty both for Tapir and the creator.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I can't promise MMO will be added for sure, but I can say PvP online feature will be added later. :)
    However, it is not a near future plan. :(-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850

in wich fersion do you think its gonna be real?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited

when I get some revenue.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

Further decreasing will.-----------------
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Tapir, is it alright if you give up the option to close the 'Right click and select save as for offline editing' bar?
    With it, the editor does not perfectly fit in my browser(s), forcing me to bear with accidentally scrolling.
    And when I actually do want to scroll, ever since one of the recent updates, the editor zooms along with the scrolling.

This is quite annoying actually.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012

@Xyuzhg
    I find that annoying too, but you can always click the link to show the editor without the text.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

Sorry for the annoyances.
    Do you mean the safari browser?
    I will find a way to avoid this issue.

You can use Firefox temporarily. :)-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012 edited

You got us wrong. Maybe not, but I use Firefox.
    The thing we mean is 'Right click and select save as for offline editing'. The editor has a size that makes it exactly fit the screen, but with 'Right click and select save as for offline editing' the page is higher than the screen.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

ok, I just added the "remove the download bar" link.-----------------
    It would be nice to have a Set Mouse Position function, as well as funtions that deal with friction. Floating objects would be nice, as well as fluid shapes. If you could make a simple collab editor setup, people can do things such as the Programming with Physics easily.-----------------
    Tumblr full of random stuff
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012 edited

skyminerMC-CI, the problem with the Set Mouse Position is that the mouse position isn't really a subjective value and practical uses of setting the position are limited.
    Fluid objects are not native to Box2D, so it is not recommended for Tapir to try implement it (computation time will skyrocket). Floating objects can be made artificially through the editor very easily.

Here:

I agree with your other points though.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

@skyminerMC-CI,
    unfortunately, there are no ways to set mouse position in Flash. You can hide the mouse and make a fake cursor, but it is not perfect.
    As Xyuzhg's example shows, you can implement the floating by using script. I will add a GetShapeArea API to make the example better.
    I will also add the set friction and restitution APIs.
    Yes, as Xyuzhg says, fluid simulation is very CPU-consuming. But I will put this feature in heart.

What is a "collab editor setup"?

btw, here is one fake water implementation:

-----------------
    @Tapir

Yes, I know you have made water before (CI 3), but to me the code is long and confusing, so I am unable to tweak it so it can float denser objects, and I'm not even sure why it only floats circles.-----------------
    How about improving the programming system-
    Such as a loop block, and a wait segment. Who knows NXT-G (the default for the Lego NXT)? Add some programming like that.-----------------
    Oh, irony. The one audio file type I can't make... is MP3. Could you set it up to accept files like Ogg Vorbis (I believe that file type is actually less lossy too)?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

yes, the fake water will only float circles. The reason is the calculation of intersection area of circles and infinite plane is simple.
    You can attach a hidden circle with a polygon to float the polygon.
    I will add a GetIntersectionArea API later.

The reason for only MP3 is supported now is MP3 decoder is supported inherently in Flash.
    I haven't found a good open sourced ogg decoder written in ActionScript yet. Even if it exists, the code base would be large and the efficiency would be slow, for ActionScript is a slow language.
    But I really plan to support more sound formats. WAV format will be very possible the next sound format to be supported.
    Currently, you can use Audacity to convert ogg files into mp3 files.

Could you describe more about the wait segment?
    Loop block is already added now.-----------------
    How about "String to clipboard" and a "Clipboard to string" functions, so levels can have save features. Also, how hard may it be to send or get strings from websites, or at least plain text ones. It would be another way of configuring level saving, plus a cheap way of having multiplayer.-----------------
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

skyminerMC-CI, that has already been requested many times. Good to remind Tapir of it though. ;)

Tapir, I think we really do need some way to manipulate our sound and image module variables. I must have it before I go insane. At least some sort of way to return a sound from an ID variable would be nice. This is the same with the image modules.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited

:(

For easy to maintain compatibilities in later versions, I will not add other type supports for Array APIs.
    The current Array API will be depreciated later. A better implementation will be added.

Currently, you can write a custom function to simulate the Sound Array, like this:

function PlaySound (int soundIndex)
    {
    if (soundIndex == 0)
    {
    PlaySound (sound0);
    return;
    }

if (soundIndex == 1)
    {
    PlaySound (sound1);
    return;
    }

}

This would be a little annoying at the beginning, but when your finished this function, it would be easy to extend.-----------------
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012

Unfortunately, that is exactly what I have been doing already to do that.
    However, a I currently plan to extend the number of sound files in my design to at least 25 (each of a very small size and duration).
    This makes it rather difficult to control my sounds as well.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012

ok, I added the Array APIs for sound and module-----------------
    Please make it so the "right click and select save for offline editing" actually works! (Or is a system limitation on my side?)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012 edited

@skyminerMC-CI
    1.Right click the link
    2.Select "save link as" or something similiar
    3.Select folder and name.swf
    4.Open in your favorite browser
    5.DONE! (steps 1-3 even work with my android phone (and 4 with a flashgame app), probably not system limitation, depends more on the browser)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012

Does the problem still exist?-----------------
    • CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012 edited

Hey, Tapir!
    I think part of the slowdown when programming at the editor is because the language offers too little "helper" functionalities.
    Here's one feature request I'm really looking forward for: A for loop.
    If one is to iterate a procedure a known number of times whilst keeping an index, the following may prove functional, but is highly time consuming and dull to work with:

index = 0
    loop = true
    length = (whatever)
    While(loop==true)
    __//Do stuff
    __index = index + 1
    __If(index < length)
    ____ loop = false
    __End If
    End While

Wouldn't it be nice...?

length = (whatever)//Unless it\'s a literal, then you just put it in the for
    For(index, 0, length, step)
    __//Do stuff
    End For

...if we were older, then we wouldn\'t have to wait so loooong! (*ahem*... sorry :P)

Of course the index represents a problem if it's treated as a local variable, since it could be modified within the loop. My suggestion is to make it a read-only variable, which can be accesed only from command lines within the loop delimiters (I hope that's not hard coding).
    But what would be really awesome, besides the for loop: a foreach loop. The most common case for an indexed search is an array search. It wouldn't add much to the 'for' if you just were to read the array, but say you want to multiply every number in the array by 2:

length = GetArrayLength(myArray)
    length = length - 1
    For(index, 0, length, 1)
    __aNumber = GetElementAsNumber(myArray, index)
    __aNumber = aNumber*2
    __SetElementWithNumber(myArray, index, aNumber)
    End For

Foreach(aNumber in myArray)
    __aNumber = aNumber*2
    End Foreach

Notice that in the last example, "aNumber" is given by reference, so editing it will change the corresponding value in the array. As the index, the "aNumber" variable should be only obtainable within the Foreach delimiters. You might want to call it just "element" if you're not giving us the chance to name it, just keep in mind we may stack two or more foreachs... maybe the context menu would simply show "element in *array name*". Same for indices.

I know I wasn't very technical and you probably thought about this long ago, but it would really simplify a lot... take the idea if you want.

[off topic]
    The editor has all of what it needs in my opinion, at least for now. It just needs some work on how things are ordered, specially on the interface. If you ask me, this should be a priority right now... if you are to keep on adding new features, you're gonna run out of shorcut keys! :P

You're doing a titanic job for a single developer certainly... things look nice and promising so far! ;)-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012 edited

mabey its an idea to make a option to make designs read only so newcomers can learn from them
    just theiy can watch them in the editor but cant save and republish them-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2012

You mean a design license?
    It is a good idea.-----------------
    How about a "canvas" entity? If you have played with JavaScript, you know what I mean.
    It would just be a very easy screen that you can change the color for each pixel an the fly. Perhaps the pixels could also have a "sensor" option like normal shapes.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012 edited

Tapir are you adding back the "display all entity ID's" and "display links" buttons? please do, I really miss them!! and I would really like to have the reg# variables added back to so I do not have to re-write all of my old programs with local variables :( ... it's quite tedious, since the reg#s still work, i just cannot add new commands with them :(
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012

What about a "SetMousePointer" api that swithces between the standart cursor and the hand pointing with a finger (and others)?-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012

@skyminerMC-CI,
    the bitmap feature is in planning. But maybe there will no sensor options for every pixels, for the quantity of pixels may be very large. When the bitmap feature is added, you can create an Array by yourself to keep the sensor info for every pixel. How to use the info is totally determined by you.

@Madball,
    There is no SetMousePoint API natively in ActionScript/Flash. Currently, there is a system/SetMouseVisible API in Phyard Builder. You can make the cursor invisible and follow a custom entity with the mouse.

@BioManiac R2,
    sorry, I forgot to mention the "show ids" had been added back for a while, please press "i" to toggle it. And I removed the "show links" button in the toolbar, please press "L" to toggle it.
    For, the register variables, there is a shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+K or CTRL+SHIFT+> to convert all register variables to scene global variables. If you are still not satisfied with this solution, I can add a shortcut to show the register variables.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited

@Tapir: but this way the following entity will be late by 1 step. It isn't good. It'll look like it's lagging. Can ActionScript/Flash (Piapia?) make something follow the mouse precisely?-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012

oh great!! i did not know this Tapir thanks :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012

@Madball,
    the lagging is inevitable, even if I implement it in Piapia. When the mosue is invisible, players will not notice the lagging, generally.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

Tapir, I've been meaning to ask this, but- why is it that we cannot add the number pad for key press events? I understand some computers and keyboards do not have laptops, but for those that do, it is nice to be able to use it as well as the numbers.

If the reason is so that people can't add commands that certain individuals cant use, then perhaps link the normal number buttons at the top of the keyboard to work for the keypad as well?