Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited

I have decided this on my own, so I will need the approval of other members before starting with this project.

Since the promotion of Phyard with the Color Infection 3 game didn't work as expected (see: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... ), Tapir suggested to release a community package, this is, a pack of Color Infection levels made by the Color Infection Forum members.
    So I thought that was what we had to do. We'll make a package among us all, in order help with the promotion of Phyard, and, of course, to show our talents to the gaming world! ;)

Tapir's idea is to make a rube goldberg/domino package, but I'm not sure if a whole package of watch-only levels would be as successful.
    So my idea is making a Color Infection Extended community package, and add rube goldbergs/dominos as "bonus" levels (that will be unlocked as the player goes solving normal levels).

-----------------------
    THE PROJECT IDEA
    If people agrees with this idea, before starting random levels, we should organize things a bit.
    What I thought was that we should make a number of different items/features first (as an add-on to the CI style), and then everybody would make their levels based on such items.
    Here's an example: a self-propelled rocket.

It could be one interesting item to play with. Here's a level made with rockets:

Other items I've been thinking of are:
    *Slice-able shapes from BioManiac's slicerix (color?)
    *Drag-able shapes using Firemil's dragging function (color?)
    (we could make a knife and a hand icons for the mouse when it passes over these shapes)
    *Anti-gravity shapes (propells upwards) (color?)
    *Some sort of keyboard controlled shape...?

Etc. Do you like any of these ideas? If not, maybe we can just make random color infection extended levels, that keeps some relation with the classic CI... I don't know.

Anyway, to collaborate with this project (if you agree), post your own item ideas, and if you want, a level using them, as I did. Then we can go for the rest of the levels, once we've got all of the base features.
    Also, I think levels doesn't have to be all puzzles... some timing/skill may be involved (just try to not to make levels too hard).
    And, of course, then every person could make a rube goldberg for the "bonus". In fact, you can start with that now!
    --------------------------

But again, before starting with all of this, I'll need other people's approval/suggestions/alternatives.
    Do you have any other idea for the package project, or do we go with this one?-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011

Drag n drop found on
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir

I really like the idea "add rube goldbergs/dominos as "bonus" levels".
    :)
    Cool idea! One bonus level per 9 other levels, really a great idea.
    So one game need 3 bonus levels.

-------------------

The rocket level is so lovely and creative.
    Yes, such ideas will make levels interesting, on the other hand, they have no negative effects on the basic color infection rules.
    I will try to make some levels based on this idea. :)

-------------------

On reflection, I decided to accelerate the development pace.
    I will try to finished a very important feature soon: design packaging.
    With this feature, you can package one or more designs as an individual game.
    This feature is free but there is a link to phyard at somewhere in the game.

You can earn some money with the game by embedding some ads or put some other one's sponsor link in the game.
    Or you can share it with friends just fro fun.

------------------

So, I think the community package is not a must-do.
    You can help me with other promotion methods. :)
    Such as submit your or others' great design page to reddit.com, digg.com and stumbleupon.com.
    or share your designs with your friends, ... etc.
    Just do it with a "by the way" attitude.

In fact, the first promotion is not too bad. There are really some new members registered on phyard.
    So I hope you can publish some new designs and create some discussions there to avoid the new
    members to doubt whether or not phyard.com is a dead website. :)-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard

Mmm! Good ideas in there.
    Certainly, the best way to promote Phyard is the oral transmission. I think we all should start posting our creations to the world, and people will get interested as things flows normally.
    I'm not much of a social network typo, but I try to make some reddits with our best levels.
    Oh, and, game packaging will be great for big projects, too. Good call.
    By the way, do you know what webs allows the embedding of CI levels?

Anyway, I still think we should make this community package. I'm going to post some other item ideas and levels between today and tomorrow. =)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited

"do you know what webs allows the embedding of CI levels?"
    I think no big websites. ;(,
    except members and fans self websites, such self blogs and self forums. ;)

yes, it would be great if we can make some community packages. :)
    Ok, I will make some levels for this package this month.

And I just realized the tutorials are too few.

And kongregate just released their own game editor, look very decent.

Oh, pressure is larger and larger.
    Really need hurry up! :)-----------------
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited

Ah, Stencil!
    I just took a look at it, after your comment. It will be one tough competitor indeed! It does looks quite polished...

Indeed, the pressure is starting to raise.
    I'd like to call any member who reads this for helping to manage this project.
    What we need is:
    -Finishing the community package (may not be that important, but it would be good to finish it as soon as possible)
    -Making tutorials! This is the most important thing to do. If new members come and doesn't understand a thing, they'll go as they come!
    -Creating at least one challenge. I realize that this was a responsibility of the moderators, and we're sorry; but between this and that we weren't able to come up with a good idea for July's challenge. So now I need people to post their challenge ideas in the Phyard forum for August, ok?
    -Copying some of our creations in the forums to Phyard. You can do this right now - if you have a decent creation in CIF, take it to Phyard. This way we can fill up the void in the Phyard web!

I know these are a big bunch of tedious things to do. But let's not get lazy right now, eh? ;)

Btw, I updated my rockets to fix a bug.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011

We could also put CIF/CI into the search engines for repitation.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011

I can make video tutorials when I'm home again.-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited

All good ideas!

@Vincent
    Yes, the more reputation we get in the web, the better.
    The best we can do for that purpose, as Tapir suggested, is to post our levels in social networks. Do it in a casual manner, and challenge your friends to make their own. Once a number of people gets interested in the game, the voice will spread and traffic will increase naturally.

@Firemil
    YES! Tutorials are very important, so when you can, try to make it!
    I'm finishing a simple video-tutorial right now too. The more tutorials we can make, the best. Specially, if the tutorials come from different members.

Let's keep it up, friends! ;)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

im just appologizing for not replying to this yet, it involves too much reading, and i've been super lazy recently lol... still didn't read it tho xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

Trying to make some simple tutorials here.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

No clues how to solve it now. :(-----------------