Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited

for about 2 days i could not get the design to work even though i swore i programmed it flawlessly...
    today i realized that i never used "create array" in my level initiation box... so now i can present to you:

Master Mind

Revised Version!

• CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012

Wow!
    So this was what you were talking about. :D
    Actually, Mastermind is one of my hidden passions in life!
    You did an excellent job making this, I can't think of single thing you can improve it in.

Vincent, the chance of getting it right the first try by luck is 1/4096, or 0.0244%. xD-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012

I`ve never heard of rule "the feedback does not tell you which dot corresponds to which peg", but it`s more interesting like that!
    That`s good implementation. I have a suggestion: make 2-player mode, where one player sets hidden pegs and another guesses (dots are set by the computer).
    Just make sure layout of dots doesn`t tell us real order of them!-----------------
    LD35!
    great game you made,i almost lost by wining in my final guess.
    •  

lol Vincent, i'd call that cheating :P
    haha your right you can win by putting the pattern after its shown to you.
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)

Cue the 'by luck' part of my post. :P

@Madball:
    See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterm...-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012

great game and perfect implementation!

It is easy!-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    • CommentAuthorMCC (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Great, Bio! You've got some talent for making board games. As Xyuzhg pointed, it's actually a very complete version, needing no additions as I see it.
    Last time I played Master Mind was when I was a kid... I remember loving the game back then! That old box must be somewhere behind a pile of books...
    Thanks for reviving an old passion! I'll have some quality fun for a couple of hours until gaming adrenaline gives way to sleep. ;)

I wonder if we can make a similar game with words?
    Say, have it to select a 5-10 letter word, each letter functioning as colors does in the original game.
    The attempts would still be 10, and the words would be longer than 4 letters, but the order and grammar every word has would ease up the finding of the solution, making the game fair.
    Just a small idea to play with. Actually... I think I'll will spend these last hours awake trying to get it working. ;)-----------------
    I'm still around... observing.
    I leave all that I own to my cat guppy
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015 edited

hey guys, so I've been playing this a lot recently, and I haven't lost once in like 200 games, so I added a 9th colour, but I swear that made the game easier... what do you think?

I'm thinking of adding a 5th position to the game, what are your thoughts on that?

for some reason I seem to have INCREDIBLE luck while playing this game. See screenshot for proof:

(url)

It's hard to say if adding another colour has made the game more difficult or not when I find all the colours so easily... someone with worse luck please help.

I will also add multiplayer soon too.
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015

Hmm, I myself got my own fair share of luck and unluck.
    I did find a glitch however, where when I inserted 4 colors, the submit button never appeared to submit the row.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015

yeah that happens sometimes. I'm thinking of just re-coding the entire thing to prevent that from being a problem. I did make this like almost 4 years ago...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015 edited

By multiplayer do you mean one computer or multiple computers?

------ EDIT ------
    Also, you seem to have beat my strategy. I guess 1111, then carry over any 1's, and keep going until I guess all the digits. I try to vary the placement. Then I guess the result. For example:
    The code is 8128.
    1111 => 1C 0M (one digit identified)
    1222 => 1C 1M (two digits identified)
    2133 => 1C 1M
    4412 => 0C 2M (the 1 is in position 1, 2, or 4; the 2 is in 1, 2, or 3)
    5251 => 0C 2M (the 1 is in position 1 or 2; the 2 is in 1 or 3)
    2661 => 0C 2M (the 2 is in position 3)
    1727 => 1C 1M

Let's stop here now. Since the "2" is accurately identified, guesses 2, 3, and 7 give insight into the location of the 1. In particular, 2133 has one digit in the correct place. That digit is not the 2, so it must be the 1. Thus I guess 8128, which is a lucky win.

Now let's assume the code was actually 8129, ceteris parabus. I continue guessing:
    8128 => 3C 0M (three digits identified)
    9128 => 2C 2M (four digits identified, at last!)
    8129 => 4C 0M (I know the 1 and 2 are correct, so the misplaced ones are the 8 and 9.)

As you can see, this took ten guesses. I'm sure if I optimize this I can guarantee at most ten guesses (eleven if the digit 0 is allowed). I have heard a minimum of five, but I think that's for six or seven digits.
    I know the strategy should be something like 1123, 1122, or 1112. I have yet to develop a strategy that adds multiple digits at once for the following reason:

1122 => 0C 3M (ok, drop the 2)
    1123 => 0C 3M (is it 1,1,2,x or 1,2,3,x?)
    I'm sure you could do something like 1122, 3344, 5566, 7788, etc to gather the digits, but then you don't know which digits are in the number.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015 edited

Mathdude... i feel that method would take an extremely long time to figure out with more colours.

I have yet to be defeated by the 9 colours and almost feel as if it has made it easier... I've always had at least 2 spots left when I win. still can't tell if it is easier tho or I've just been lucky.

Going to add a 5th hole and another colour when I have time.
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015

... I just realized you could zoom out and press submit... Maybe I should change that...
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015

Easy fix: don't allow zooming out!-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015

that would be the fix I would do... but I can't imagine wanting to cheat in this game... And it's kinda nice to have that option in case the submit button doesn't appear (for whatever reason)
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016

Okay Everyone, I said I wanted to do this and it's been some time but I'm finally done! You can now select up to 12 colours and 8 locations. Repeat colours is also now an option to turn off if you want only one set of the colours.

Using 12 colours is quite hard! I haven't tried too much yet, but let me know what settings you like playing on!

If you dislike the colour choices and would like to recommend different shades or colours then please let me know what HEX values you would like to see instead.

Enjoy guys!

Here's a round I played, 8 colours, 8 spots, no doubles.

(url)
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited

... kinda dissapointed no one else has commented on this since I made the expansion to 12 colours and 8 slots... but here's some more example wins I got.

[examples moved to top post]
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

Sorry, I haven't checked the forums yet. :P

I think it's a pretty cool expansion. ^^ Looks much more difficult. It's cool though, because games tend to last a little longer then they did with only four.
    It's like game modes:

Noob = 2
    Easy = 4
    Medium = 6
    Hard = 8
    Extreme = 10

It's also starting to take some good foundation. Throw some animations in there, and a couple of visuals, and poof. It'll start to look like a real game. Good job, Bio.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

Interesting game. I have no clue of the strategy for 8C8SND...-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016

I've been playing this a lot and have added MANY more example images to the first post if anyone is interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016

HI, BioManiac,
    I want to make some changes on the color theme but I forget how to load play code in editor. :D
    So could you pls share the source code?-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016

what colours did you want to change?