Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012 edited

I was wondering if you can make games with no scripts. Just with physics.
    GA was the first one to do that in his "The Point and Click Mystery" game series. ( http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... )
    Monotof was the first one to manipulate data. ( http://www.phyard.com/design/Monotof... )
    JoBall made a well-controllable game, despite the fact that we can't clone without scripts. ( http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... )
    I made a puzzle where pinks are not just covered, but physically hidden. ( http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... )
    But then the scripting was added, and we didn't progress in physic programming since then!
    So I thought: can we actually program with physics? Can we make a full game with it? Will physics triumph?

Looking for ways to program, I stumbled upon 5 problems:
    1. Data writing and reading. Monotof made reading, but the data was preset.
    2. Conditions. GA managed to use them in his game.
    3. Continious input. JoBall showed that we can do it.
    4. Hiding pinks. If you cover a pink, it's still clickable. I was able to solve it.
    5. Loops. Nobody did it yet.

I made a solution for the first problem:

I thought: can the programming with physics be simple? Can we make it just with some parts/samples? It became my target, and I think it should be done. This way the physic programming can move from computers to real world.

Well, enough of these histrionics. Do you get the idea? I know that you won't do anything, but anyway here is my memory writer. It was the reason I made this discussion.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

cool!
    I am always not good at making designs of this type.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

I thought about making a ball that simulates the code flow.
    And I made a loop.
    Drag to see the machine.
    -----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

Two dynamic pink machines.
    You can add motor to the right one.
    -----------------
    LD35!
    • CommentAuthorkinloch
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012 edited

This stuff is amazing!

I remember I once was trying to make a programable robot with inredibots(using trigers)....
    I failed...

But I may have another go with the C I editor.

How much physics based must it be? are trigers that activate motors on shapes touching allowed as long as no more advanced scripts are used or has it got to be just shapes+motors?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)

@kinloch
    I'm pretty sure it's about not using a single trigger at all, and if there are no collision triggers, it makes designing a challenge on some levels.
    See editor 1.06 for things that are 100% permitted.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)

Hi, here's another nice design by Monotof!
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...
    The machine is shown below
    -----------------
    •  

Yes, I saw that one.
    @kinloch: I haven't stated it as a challenge. So if you are goind to build anything, you have no rules. But if you are asking for an advice, you may use no triggers at all.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

I'm in. Imma make simple condition and inputs and serve registering paired with joint. I have a little idea for this. Wait here, now.-----------------
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited

I can't believe I still haven't said anything in this thread!
    It's quite the incredible goal to have, to program with purely physics.

I think we should first establish that Madball's information storage system in the first design is our official way to store bits.
    It's simple, effective, and can easily be expanded to an 8-bit system.
    Here's a clean, importable version:

For now, I'll work on a few compact logic gates and then on an adder/subtractor.-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited

I'm glad that so many people joined.
    Now I belive we can do it!

Also, a poll:
    What do you think is better? Instant joint-based triggers (difficult) or code flow (slow)? Or both are good and should be used?

Btw my bit storage is not rewriteable, but I don't think that will be hard to tweak.

OK, here is another update for the text engine: (Yes, I gonna make a text-based game)
    -----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

Joint-based can be better, as the "Flow" can be controlled and easily transferred.-----------------
    [Post moved into "warepost"]-----------------
    Tumblr full of random stuff
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012

Nice gates, and I like that the input is the same as the output, but could you enable the source code please?-----------------
    LD35!
    [Post moved into "warepost"]-----------------
    I am now just putting all of my parts into one ‒p-o-s-t‒ level, to keep this thread short.
    -----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012

I made a byte box (idea by Xyuzhg)

and thought: do we need them?-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbluefeonix
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

wow, these are some really great Ideas! seems like i missed quite a bit in past years. I really like the idea of using physics for a text based game :)
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012 edited

Did you forget about me? The "Programming with physics" section is back! (I guess). And here is a custom data storage:

I found only one thing we should do for now: make something! This way we will know what should we do better. I don't think making a computer is reasonable now.

[edit]
    Here is an exportable version of the ball dispenser:

[/edit]-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012

Here we go: A top-down 2D walker

Hidden version:
    -----------------
    LD35!
    Very clever, Madball. I'll just stick with Piapia (it still should be called CI-Basic. :S).-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited

Another thing: a calculator that can add and subtract.

Drag sliders to see the results.

[edit]
    A lookup table for multiplication:

[/edit]-----------------
    LD35!
    Wait... 2+2=4? Hmm... must research this possibility.

(url)

Anyways, great job on this too.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012

@skyminerMC-CI: If you drag the slider too fast, it skips some of the gear's teeth. Obiviously, it wouldn't happed in real life.-----------------
    LD35!
    Well then, your calculator is wrong. 2 + 2 does equal 5, no matter what others say.-----------------
    • CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited

This thing will drop one ball when space is pressed.

It uses impulse generators to power the dropper.

[edit]
    Now with a return mechanism, using a restitution 9 brick.

[/edit]

By the way, what's the difference between the force and impulse generators, and torque and impulse motors?
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

Actually, I forgot about these ones!
    I was looking for a way to implement a full-fledged input without triggers, but it seems these generators/motors do it perfectly and don't allow unneeded things.
    (No, I don't know the difference)-----------------
    LD35!
    • CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

The reason I created my ball dropper is because I don't like pinks - they can be clicked, but once they are, they are never to be seen again, and they don't allow keyboard input. Impulse generators, on the other hand, can be used time and time again, although they only allow keyboard input, so no Androids/iPods/anything without a hardware keyboard. Also, the bouncy brick allows balls to be returned instantly, rather than waiting for a carriage, and shows that return mechs don't have to be complicated elevators and such.
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012

Here are examples of basic functions with byte boxes: "Assign", "Not" and "If", separate for each bit
    -----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

Something like that:

I'm planning to make all the operations be modules, and I'll make players able to place them in runtime. At first there will be simple modules, but if I'll be able, I'll make more advenced modules to optimise the programming.

If module. Idea: when a bit is "1", drops the byte down. For example, by tilting the conveyor.
    Lift module. Able to raise bytes.
    Inverted lift. Able to raise bytes, but placing on the right side of conveyor. Idea for this and previous: a list raises a byte, the conveyo ceiling stops it from rising until the byte is gone to left or right.
    Crossing. Transfers bytes from left to right and from top to bottom independently. I have an idea for it.

I'm busy this weekend, but I'll start working after. Let's hope one day I'll finish this Turing tar pit. :D-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012 edited

Added an "If" block
    -----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016

Interesting stuff here.

I managed to make a half adder with physics, but after looking at the thread... hmmm...

http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...

What I would really like is for the stoppage mechanism to be resettable, so circuits can be reused.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2017

New programming with physics... that seems to be failing.
    1. Click START.
    2. If you can see a slice of white in the middle container, click the pink to release the "prize" ball.
    3. Make your selection by releasing the correct blue.
    4. Make the enemy's selection by releasing a red, which is currently random. (You are not supposed to see it.)
    5. Click the pair (glued) below yours and theirs. The see-saw tips towards the heavier side.

I was trying to make the game Goofspiel without triggers. Goofspiel is a 2-3 player game, usually done with a deck of playing cards. Each player receives cards 1-n (usually n=13), and another suit also with 1-n is set aside as a "prize" deck. A "prize" card is upturned at the start of each round. Players then both select a card from their hand, and reveal simultaneously. Whoever played higher wins it.

Here, I was trying to make that work. However, there are a few bugs:
    • Sometimes, two whites or (rarer) two reds come out at once.
    • Often, the white will be incorrectly positioned on the see-saw.
    • Often, the white will not tip the correct way after the comparison.

Help please?-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...