Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012

The behaviour and performance differences between the old and new engines are really not small.
    Many old designs are really lame running on the new engine.

And I found a new physics engine: nape. It seems it is more efficient than box2d.
    Maybe I will also add it into CIE.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012

What exactly the differences are? And what does "old" mean? As far as I remember, the very old engine had randomness depending on the speed. The a little old engine had glitched joints. The just old engine is just like the current one (maybe there are differences, idk).
    Oh, yes, the old designs are really messed up. I think you should use old engine for old designs, new engine for new designs, if it won't be difficult.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited

The new one (box2d 2.10+) supports real infinite word field and has less joint glitches.
    But there are still joint glitch cases.
    And the glitches are not always bad, I find it is useful in making some Goldbergs.

The old one (box2d 2.02) is faster than the new one, about 50 percent, especially for large massive scenes.
    And I found the old one has less penetration errors.

I will try to research the difficulties of re-adding back the old one and make a decision.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard