Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014 edited

Hello!

For the April challenge, you need to make a logic puzzle.
    This logic puzzle must be the type where you pre release the balls before letting them drop like in this example: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...

No triggers, bombs, or gravity controllers.

You will be judged on the amount of balls you use (minimum of 8), the amount of different devices you use, and the amount of places to infect the balls. There will also be prizes based on the difficulty, complexity, and creativity of the puzzles.

Original thread: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...

EDIT: Completed designs are to be posted publicly, with copy source code enabled, so that newer members can have inspiration. However, no one should ever copy someone's design and pass it off as their own. Even if you make slight changes, if I deem it too similar to someone else's design, I will be taking action.-----------------
    puzzled
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014

It's been a while since I last made a CI puzzle.
    I'll make sure to create something original.

Shall we actually whisper you the solution(s) to our puzzles?-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014

Xyuzhg - Thank you for pointing that out. Yes, please do whisper your design solutions to me. For new members, to do so, just type my username (puzzle geek) into the box with the words "Whisper your comments to (optional)" directly above it.
    I'll be testing for multiple solutions since a good logic puzzle should only have one (unless the puzzle was designed for this).-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014

Happy April Fools!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Puzzle, I have one question. Triggers are not allowed, but is there an exception for when there's some randomness, and you'd want to solve it with triggers?

Vanderwaal: No. True classic logic puzzles shouldn't have any randomness to be corrected. Plus, we rely too much on triggers, and it's a sign of a true master of Color Infection if you can make a logic puzzle without triggers.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014 edited

I have a question, I want to use triggers as the input method for the balls. Instead of having a storage area for the 10+ balls at the top like others, I want to use click buttons to make a ball appear into the path. The number of balls per type will still be limited, the storage of balls will still exist, clicking will only teleport them from off screen. If you say no to triggers I will still use this method... it will just be much harder to implement with pink blocks instead of triggers...

EDIT: nvm. I found a way to make them enter from offscreen without triggers.
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014

so I'm donating my design for anyone who wants to use it. I've spent a fair amount of time on it, but I realized that I had added too many ideas and now have no idea really what to do... there isn't exactly a logic to it, and therefore it is not a complete submission, so feel free to take and use parts if you like!

yeah bio, too much timing to be considered logic. But glad you sorted out your delema.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

the problem was I wanted to have the player decide where they drop the balls... it isn't supposed to be a timing puzzle at all, I just didn't know what or where I wanted to put lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)

Puzzle, there's no timing involved in this design like... at all. o_O-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014

thedudefromci: yes there is, depending on where when you release the balls, they could go on either side of the two way switches-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

....-----------------
    •  

lol ^
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014 edited

I'll be the first to post my design. The goal was to make a logic puzzle, but I preferred to make something that was more like a rube goldberg. Then I decided to combine the two. The result was a design where much happens at once. It might be helpful to just see once how everything works before actually trying to solve it. It might happen that some parts of the puzzle don't do what they are supposed to do. If that happens, please tell me.

EDIT: some small changes to solve a few little bugs.
    •  

Great level Vanderwaal !! Got it on my 2nd try! - I got all but one/(two if you consider they needed to be swapped) of them on the 1st try because I wasn't sure what would get to the bottom of the screen the fastest haha, also...
    When the blue ball went into that hole I did not see that coming!! I thought that would hole would need to be filled so I put a green ball in that slot instead haha
    Great level! - Only thing I wish was that it was harder and not so obvious which ones needed to be switched to solve it, but I'm fussing over the impossible so don't worry about it :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorGolden Actor (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

Brilliant design Vanderwaal :)
    This is a good style - not too difficult!
    :D

I had one of the swings fail once, but can't get it to fail when I tried again...-----------------
    Your online buddy:
    ~Golden Actor~
    Advanced Moderator
    •  

I made some changes to my level, I fixed up the few things that didn't work properly, and now I'm submitting it as a level.

NOTE: There are probably different ways to solve the puzzle, and yes I left the pink balls there on purpose, I'm curious to see how and what people choose to do with them and if they use them or remove them.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is even solvable, but good luck guys. Someone whisper me an image and explanation of how you beat it if you do :)

•  
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

Speed of light bullets

• CommentTimeApr 12th 2014

Hello! Thank you for the great participation of the April 2014 Color Infection Challenges.
    If you haven't made a design yet, don't worry, its not too late!

I would have announced the beginning of the designing/posting phase, but I unexpectedly caught a cold and got sick. As a result, I was unable to go on the computer.-----------------
    puzzled

Hello! After some talking with Golden Actor, I have decided to imclude the People\'s Choice Award!
    This award is given the person whom the forum members like best! Anyone can vote, but participants cannot vote for their own design. This award is seperate and does not affect decisions for any other awards.
    Voting takes place during the judging phase and thus the Judging phase has been renamed the Judging/Voting phase!-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

:)

And here is my entry into the challenge:
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...-----------------
    Your online buddy:
    ~Golden Actor~
    Advanced Moderator
    •  
      CommentAuthorFiremil (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014

Here's my entry.

• CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014

THere is currently one more day to the designing/posting phase. If you have not posted a design and still wish to do so, than remember you only have 24 more hours (give or take). Your designs so far have been very creative, with lots of unexpected challenge! Keep it up for future challenges!-----------------
    puzzled
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

Anouncing the start of the Judging/Voting Phase!
    This is where you vote for whomevers design you wish to recieve the Peoples Choice Award!-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

I vote for Golden Actor's design.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014

My vote goes to Vanderwaal's design :)-----------------
    Your online buddy:
    ~Golden Actor~
    Advanced Moderator
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014 edited

I vote for Vanderwaal's. I really like the use of the springs and the moving/falling platforms, I do not think I have seen these before, or at least in a long time. The only downside to the design is that it is difficult to predict which ball falls down the larger hole first, but that's part of the puzzle, so maybe I'm just fussing that I wasn't good at it xP

Although GA's design is great too, I feel it is too ... [for lack of a better word] over complicated? Personally I dislike the amount of text explanation, as well as the thin lines and tiny switches. It just doesn't feel like an old CI design to me but feels like it uses triggers and such [although it doesn't] which complicates the logic somewhat. I'll post a simplified version that I personally find more appealing, although technically it will be the same thing. Looking at his design in the editor, I feel as if the components that make up his triggers would have been better to be included inside the level so that people would understand why the switches work, and be able to appreciate the logic behind how they work.

I really like Firemil's design as it is by far the most complex of the three, and already commented on it, I'll post it here:

"I don't really understand the purpose of some of the mechanisms, the thing that moves to the left is rather pointless since if it did not exist, the ball would simply fall into the hole and end up in the same spot. As well as the lift [which] only works for the very first ball, and anything after does not go that way? then the thing that holds 2 balls, also only works once, and then the blocker goes back up?"

Although I really like his design I wish the components of it worked multiple times which would continuously complicate the design instead of only affecting it once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014

In my opinion Golden Actor his design was the best, but I don't want to share my first place with him. :( I'll still vote for him though. That way Puzzle maybe needs to figure out what he'll do with a tie.
    •  

I won't vote. Let's have a tie. Both of the top designs are great.

In case someone does put out another vote, my vote will balance it out. I want recognition for both - they are very different designs and can't be judged by the same criteria in my opinion.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron

I was going to vote for Golden Actor, but seeing as you have some anti-competition up there, I don't bother.

:P-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014

We should team up against Firemil, just because. xD

Yes, both entries are very good, but Golden Actor's is still better. Forcefully creating a tie will mess up the whole purpose of the competition. Otherwise, it's just people posting designs, which they can do normally.-----------------
    •  

OK, I'll just vote for GA. For the poilish and "non-CI" looking design - I have come to hate those grey blocks

I was going to do so in the beginning, but it'd ruin the tie :P-----------------
    •  

Yay! Firemil caved!
    I am good at this. xD-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorUnihedron
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014 edited

^

I vote for GA!

Vanderwaal's design is nice too, but I feel that GA's wins in puzzle design.-----------------
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014 edited

As April comes to a close, so do the April Color Infection Challanges!
    And now, the long anticipating results!

First of all, congratulations to Golden Actor for winning the People\'s Choice award!
    Votes:
    Golden Actor: 4
    Vanderwaal: 2
    Firemil: 0

Now we come the the additional awards!
    Congratulations to Golden Actor for winning the Difficult award!
    Congratulations to Vanderwaal for winning the Complex award!
    And congratulations to Firemil for winning the Creative award!

And now, the moment You've all been waiting for, the placing awards!

With 63 points and in 3rd place, congratulations to...

Vanderwaal!

With 71 points, in 2nd place, congratulations to...

Golden Actor!

And with 79 points, the grand prize of 1st place goes to...

Congratulations Firemil!

Your medals have been added to the medal room!

Original thread:
    puzzled