Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited

Since 2/3 of the Average was a big success, and people are saying the forums are down, I started this.
    Try not to let this get discontinued like Error Error. Only play if you have enough time for this and more.
    The rules are simple. Whisper a number to me. It has to be in the range [0, 10000). Whoever has the second highest number by June 30 wins. I get to guess too, but you guys can change your guess by whispering "I change my guess to ____". In addition, there will only be a winner if there are 4+ entries (including me). If there is a tie for first (like 9998, 9998, 9998, 9997), all those players are considered first, and the next lowest wins. If there is a tie for second place, then whoever posted first wins. Yes, I know some people might object, but with such a high range it's unlikely there will be a tie.

The winner will get a secret design 7 days before I actually release it. DO NOT reveal the prize to nonwinners.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

hmmm.... I think the integer idea will likely result in a tie.... why not allow decimals as well? Then at least there cannot be a tie [for well placed decimals]
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

question, why bother entering? xyuzhg will do some wierd algebra ju-jitsu and win :P
    that being said, yes, i entered XD-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

I think the one with the average was much more realistic to guess... this one is not affected by outliers at all, where as the other one was. This only really requires 2 people to win, and since it goes by integers, we can logically say what the first highest POSSIBLE outcome is, and the second, and... voila.
    •  

Ok. It allows decimals now.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    *sigh* Now I'm going to have to change it and probably nullify any chances of winning.-----------------
    Tumblr full of random stuff
    •  

Ok, I thought it would have lots of strategy. I would request this thread closed, but read on...
    I have another idea for a game, please let me know your opinion. If it's a good idea I might replace this thread with it.
    The goal is to guess the highest number, from 1-100. All guesses must be integers. AVOID TYING FOR FIRST PLACE.
    It's a 5-round game, and the number of players must be known in advance. (I will have a sign-up period, then those players play 5 rounds of 2-3 days each.)

Scoring:
    3 points for guessing the highest, AND no one else tied for highest.
    -5 points if you tie for highest. Avoid at all costs! (All tied players lose 5 points)
    1 point for being the second-highest
    0 points for being the lowest
    -1 points for everyone else.

If there are only 4 people (the minimum), there is no lowest score reward.

Please let me know if this game is or is not a good idea, and what your thoughts are (including if you have slight tweaks for the point system), BEFORE I start it.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014

... since tying is to be avoided, the first thing that came to mind was collaboration with other players...

since there are 5 rounds, we could take turns getting first place, 2nd, etc, to avoid tying.

resulting in everyone having the same winning score at the end of round 5 to tie for 1st place...

I think a game with rounding would be best, since exact numbers cause too many problems with ties... :/
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

uhh, yeah, that seems a bit too.... un good.-----------------
    puzzled
    Can we just revert to the original integer second-highest and see how that turns out? At this point we are neck deep in speculation as to how it's going to turn out, and we keep rewriting the game so it's harder to play instead of actually watching events play out.-----------------
    Tumblr full of random stuff
    •  

..... sky, if we play the original way, I'm going to cheat and win... ;)
    •  

Bio, please delete this thread. Maybe I can start up the WW game.-----------------