Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited

I am trying to make this air-hockey game. However, it seems that channel messages regarding movement simply stop after 1-2 seconds, while the chat is unaffected. I'm not sure why, but I think something is disabling it. Can someone help me?
    http://www.phyard.com/design/Mathdud...
    Open source.

How this level works
    Channel 0 is for sending the position and velocity of opponent's paddle to yours. Channel 1 is for chat, which is unaffected like I said. The chat works perfectly, the movements don't. Is there some kind of limit on the number of messages that can be sent per channel or something? Each message is 16 bytes (I think) -- four for each of position x,y and velocity x,y of the opponent's paddle. There may be more, as ByteArrays might have identifiers or something.

Edit: Upgrading to the 2.07 editor breaks the chat entirely. Why is this? Deprecated commands?-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

hmm... I haven't looked at the code, but I tried to play it, and I'm not sure I understand what the problem is O_o but I do not know if the multiplayer system will be able to keep up with a live action game :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014

problem with a live action game is that you have to keep everything synced. one little difference and the 2nd player gets a different screen than player 1-----------------
    (insert good signature here)
    •  

yes. ^ it might be a good idea to test the response time between the two players before you make a live action game.
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014 edited

I remember once, [ waaayyyyyyy back in the day, say 15 years ago] I was having a pokemon battle with a friend, on our GBCs [if you don't know the term, you're too young for me ;) ] and while battling our link cable got separated [I feel sorry for all you young ones that will need to look these devices up] we reconnected it quickly but not quick enough. I attacked one of her pokemon and defeated it, and she sent out a Butterfree [ I remember to this day xD ] I told her and she said "HUHH ?! nooo - on my screen you didn't kill it, and I healed it with a potion - and I don't even have a Butterfree!!" xD
    •  

The problem is channel messages stop coming at all after 1 second.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited

you sure it isnt your code? there arent that many multiplayer games yet. but tapir made one and that seems to work fine

to keep everrything in sync. you could try(not sure if possible) to have one client be the main client. and the onther secondary
    main will calculate everything(ball location. yours and enemys position etc)
    and the secondary client would just show the ball and player positions based on the cordinates it gets trough he channels
    basicly making a server from the main client

but again tho. not sure if its possble. might even lag for the onther player if its a bad connection :/
    and i imagine that taking up all channels very quickly

and dont wory bio. i still remember the game boy color. or the linkcable. :P-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited

I checked the source code. The design calls send-message in every step.
    On thing I haven't mentioned is the max send-message frequency is 20/minute.
    The 20/minute limit may be increased to 60/minute later, but will never to larger value.
    Besides this limitation, the server lag may be not constant, sometimes, the lag would be large.
    So the current multiplayer implementation is really not suitable for realtime games. :(-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014

im not that young to not know what a gbc is XD, heck, my early childhood was filled with SNES games as the newest thing :p ahh, kusty the clown... never did beat jebadiah... (if you don't know what i'm talking about, than i pity you)-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014

Aww man...
    Then free mode is basically useless (except for chat?)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014 edited

it doesnt have to be useless.
    tapir just says there is a limit on fast action games
    one way around this limit would be sending sometihng only every 3 seconds
    but this would be way to slow for a game like this

hey tapir. would it be an option to have to players be connected. and seting up a link between those players?
    what i say is you have player A who choses to be host.
    and player B who just wants to join a random host

your server would see theres one host. and one player who seeks a host. and then links them together. making player A the server
    this would leave your server alone. allowing your server to handle more things. while live action games would still be possible

btw. cant wait till someone makes a co-op CI puzzle :P-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014

For security reasons, Browsers don't allow this (P2P connection).
    So the Flash player embedded in browsers also doesn't support this.
    But this is possible for standalone mobile apps.
    Now I can't make a decision if this will be supported later.-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

So here's the thing. Why not instead limit the number of bytes per minute? Because my messages were on the order of 20-30 bytes. While sending huge kilobyte-sized data is not a good idea, sending small things like 20 bytes... let's just say, I can't see a difference (besides small efficiency changes) between sending a 40-byte message each step and sending one 80-byte message every 2 steps.

Also, in v2.06 the chat works fine, in v2.07 it doesn't. Apparently the 20 messages/min. limit was applied channel-wise, now it's total.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014

Seriously, I'm a bit disappointed with the multiplayer feature.
    Tapir, why is it that you only go on CIF once a month?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014

@Math
    He logs on more then that, but just as a guest.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014

@thedude
    You mean he visits CI or logs on as phantom user? If he logs on, he is using his account.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014

Tapir! Tapir! Don't log on as a guest! Log on from your regular account!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014 edited

He can't hear you! He's a guest. >.>
    xD-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.