Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014 edited

Hi guys!
    I have decided to begin working on a sophisticated CI shape maker (as a CI game) in response to this thread: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...
    My rationale for making this is twofold: I'm making it both to simply help out others with game making and as a proof of concept (CI tool written in CI).
    I've barely started working on the UI, so you can have a small sneak peek of just the menus that I've made so far:

(url)

Anyway, I'll be publishing the versions of my shape maker tool in this thread, and I'll actively respond to feature requests and bug reports directly in here.
    Once I reach a releasable version (v1.0), I'll post it in the Warehouse.

Instead of forcing you to decide among specific types of shapes (regular polygons, cogs, etc.) like in MCC\'s shape maker, this one focuses on free customizability.
    Polygons can be generated by creating guide shapes (circles, rectangles, and polygons) which are then concatenated and polygonized:
    (url)
    For shapes like cogs and ellipses, they too can be generated using rectangles and circles.

Version 0.1
    - Complete basic UI
    - Basic single guide polygonization (except polygons)
    - Clipboard exporting

Version 0.2
    - Point/guide/line segment selection
    - Rotation, scaling, translation, and flipping
    - Multi-guide polygonization

Version 0.3
    - Advanced single-point customization
    - Addition of extra points between selected two
    - Basic origin and grid features

Version 0.4
    - Save/load/revert features
    - Default option preference saving
    - Origin and grid features
    - Zooming

Version 0.5
    - Guide cutting/copying/pasting/duplicating
    - Guide and point deletion
    - Undo/redo

Version 0.6
    - Shortcuts
    - Advanced shapes (cogs, ellipses, etc.)

Version 0.7
    - Polygon guides (for various reasons, I\'m sure these will be hell to implement)
    - Export as Assembled Module

Version 0.8
    - Autoalign feature (single-point, edge, and center alignment snapping)

Version 0.9
    - Anti-shapes (border attempts to avoid passing through these)

I plan to release Version 0.1 on December 16, 2014 (I need deadlines to actually get working :P). If you want me to bump up/down any specific features, please do tell me (but please try to simultaneously bump one feature up and one feature down of equal difficulty to keep my deadlines regular).

If you want to collab with me in any way, just ask me - I'll probably allocate you a single function/task/data structure to write for me, rather than directly help with the tool. Sorry. :(-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014

Nice! Cant wait to see the first version

How many small things are there you need help with?-----------------
    (insert good signature here)

The first task I want people to help with is determining the minimal possible valid source code for importing polygons in each version of the CIE.
    This is important to simply clean up the code and save important source code characters.
    So far, I've done the task for v2.09 only, and you can really see the difference between the minimal source code required for importing and the full source given:
    - Full: http://pastebin.com/h2ahEarx
    - Minimal: http://pastebin.com/ZArPLPfz

Because I want for my tool to have 'backwards' compatibility, I'd like examples of minimal source codes for every version of the CIE from v1.10 onwards. The polygon example should import as a standard static polygon, and you do test your examples only through the importing features for each version (for later versions, use the scene merging import mode). Remember that oftentimes, you can not only delete some lines but actually reduce some tags to their key identifiers only (i.e. <World app_id="COIN" version="209" ... > simply becomes <World version="209"">).

For the sources, just use pastebin or something - I'll figure the rest out.

- 2.09 (done)
    -----------------

(I'll make a new post for each individual request.)

One specialized (and quite mathematical) function:

Inputs:
    - A start position X1;
    - A start position Y1;
    - An end position X2;
    - An end position Y2;
    - An array of physics-disabled entities (circles, rectangles, or polygons).

Outputs:
    - Boolean result of whether a line segment from (X1, Y1) to (X2, Y2) mathematically intersects with any of the entities (the inbuilt raycasting function works only for physics-enabled entities);
    - The entity that the ray first intersects with;
    - The first intersection point X;
    - The first intersection point Y;
    - A Number which is: if a circle, the counterclockwise angle between the intersection, the center, and the 0° orientation of the circle; if a rectangle, the ID of the vertex immediately clockwise of the intersection, treating the 0° rotated upper right corner as ID 0; and if a polygon, the ID of the vertex immediately clockwise of the intersection.

You may assume that the ray begins from outside every entity.
    -----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850

if this is finished. maybe tapir can copy the code and inplent it.into the editor-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)

So how will we be able to have things like circle arcs, hexagons, noncircular ellipses, etc?-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...

I listed many of the more sophisticated features very simply under "Advanced single-point customization" for v0.3.

Circle arcs will still be defined with only circles - it's simply that you can choose the number of points to display for each guide and between what angles.
    This also allows you to define hexagons using low-resolution circles (just 6 points), as well as any other regular polygon.
    As for irregular cyclic polygons, you'll be able to adjust angles of individual points accordingly.

As for ellipses, I wrote it above in a very indirect way, but they will simply be defined using rectangles via their major and minor axes.
    This doesn't make circles redundant because you'll still want more precise circle-related adjustments as I just described above.

From here on, if you have any shape requests, please wait until I implement at least v0.3 to see if I\'ve already thought of them.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850

i would like to help. but i think this is waaaay to complex for me to code :/-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014

If you make it work on v1.10, then all later editors should support the import.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014 edited

Sorry, I've been busy with celebrations so I haven't even been on the forum lately.

Mathdude, the idea behind my request is so that importing is possible without me having to depend on native backwards compatibility.
    It also gives opportunity to potential future features that I plan to implement.

I'll try work on this over the next week, but I'll make no promises - I'm quite busy.-----------------
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014

don't worry, xyuzhg. what you've al;ready done is...
    im going to go breathe in a paper bag now...-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014

By the way,, I want to see this. I don't care HOW unfinished this is. I want to see it!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTapir
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015

@Xyuzhg,
    how about writing the program with actionscript or javascript? so that it runs in browsers and cross platforms. :)-----------------
    My games: Tapir Games
    My phyards: Tapir@phyard
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015

I kinda need this. I want to make a cool design and the ware thread doesn't have enough shapes.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

So why don't you create them yourself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)

I'll make you one. A simple one. Give me a second.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  

And by second, I mean several hours.-----------------
    •  

That is the problem. MCC's design is Windows-only. Xyuzhg never finished this. It was very hard to make the one shape found in design 2 of my random designs thread (and THAT one used INTEGER positions).-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015 edited

Eh, I got this. I'm a Java coder, remember? It's kinda of literally my job. I do this stuff for a living. (Really wish you were paying me for this, but whatever. T_T) (And yes, it is multi-platform. It's Java, duh. xD)

Here's the deal, I'll code a simple and working version, and if you want any extra features, I'll change you a small amount. Deal?-----------------
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

dude, lol. How many clients do you get usually? what are your rates?-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

So far:
    I've received three clients.
    ......Two of them were my parents.......

Rates: Maybe $20 a month?-----------------