Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited

Since it looks like WW8 is dieing, it might be time for a new forum game.

Color courts is a role-playing game for three or more players (excluding the GM). A crime happened and somebody, the defendant, is suspected of committing that crime. The prosecution tries to convince the judge the defendant committed the crime while the defence tries to convince the judge the defendant did not commit the crime. To do this, the police hands out some evidence like the murder weapon which may have fingerprints of the defendant on it or a picture of the crime scene. More evidence will get collected through the trial.

The playable roles are:
    The judge manages the court. New evidence has to be officially accepted by the judge. If the defence makes mistakes the judge is allowed to penalize the defence. Also, the judge is allowed to ask neutral questions to get some more information. In the end the judge decides if the defendant is guilty or not. This role requires the least activity, but since you have to make some important decisions it\'s important you\'re on top of the game.
    The defence defends the defendant. However, he should make sure his defences make sense, or he’ll get penalized. This role requires the most activity. Furthermore, a keen eye for detail helps.
    The prosecution attacks the defendant. He tries to lay off all of the attacks the defence makes. This role requires a medium level of activity. Having a big mouth is recommended.
    If there are more than three players, every of those roles can be played by multiple people. Extra members reinforce the teams in this order: defence > prosecution > judge. This means that if a fourth person joins, he has to be on the defence. If a fifth person joins, he has to be on the prosecution, etc.

The roles the GM fulfills are:
    The police gives some general information about the case at the beginning of every day. The victim and all important evidence is presented. He will also answer any questions the defence and prosecution have.
    The witnesses is included in most of the cases. They will shed some more light on what happened.
    The police and the witnesses will be controlled by the GM.
    The defendant is accused of the murder. He won\'t participate in the court. The defence is allowed to ask him for some more information if he sees fit.

At the beginning the GM posts the beginning of the case. This includes noting who the defence, the prosecution and the judge are. After that the prosecution (who is currently controlled by the GM) calls in the police to inform the court about the general information of the murder. This includes presenting evidence. The judge has to accept it, but the defence and the prosecution are already allowed to use it before it\'s accepted. Only if the judge denies the evidence afterwards all of the information gathered from the evidence has to be discarded. If the judge believes the evidence is illegal or irrelevant, it’s allowed to deny it. After the police told everything, the defence is allowed to ask extra questions if he believes that will help convince the defendant is not guilty. If he notices any contradictions, he’s also allowed to object. This is vital to make progress, but the prosecution is allowed to attack this objection. The defence is allowed to defend again, the prosecution attack again, etc. If in the end the judge is convinced the defence was misbehaving, he\'s allowed to penalize the defence. If the defence gets penalized a total of five times, he loses.

After the defence believes he has asked the police all questions he wants and doesn’t see any contradictions, the prosecution is allowed to get his first witnesses. He will know who the witnesses are, because he received a list of all of them at the beginning of the case from the GM. If any other names pass, he’s also allowed to ask those into court to testify. The witness will then tell his or her story. After that the defence is allowed to ask some more questions and object if he sees a good reason. If the defence believes he can make up a story that proves the defendant is innocent he’s allowed to present it. The prosecution is allowed to attack it. The defence will defend again, the prosecution attack again, etc. This will continue till the defence will withdraw his story or the prosecution gives in. When the prosecution gives in, the judge will check if the story if the defence really makes sense. If it doesn’t, the defence will get penalized. If it does, the defence wins. If the defence withdraws his story, he will instantly get penalized as well.

After all of the information was gathered from the witnesses, the day ends. The defence and the prosecution are allowed to ask the police to search for more evidence / witnesses or anything else. The next day the police will present its findings. After the defence and prosecution had their turns asking for more details and the defence pointed out the contradictions he sees, the prosecution will call a new witnesses.

The game will continue until one of the teams wins. Note that the game will only last for a maximum of three days. After those three days the defence will win for a lack of evidence.

Note you’re not allowed to make up things. All evidence has to be collected from the police or witnesses.

Prosecution
    Build a very strong case against the defendant he can’t defend against
    Allow the defence to get penalized five times
    Defence
    Gather evidence that suggests the defendant is innocent
    Make sure the prosecution fails to build a strong case with his three witnesses

The GM:
    Judge: The judge opens the court. Are the defence and the prosecution ready?
    Defence: Yes, the defence is ready, my honor.
    Prosecution: Yes, the prosecution is ready.
    Prosecution: I will now call in the police to inform us on the crime.
    Police: Alright, there has been a murder on Firemil and Floppykiller is our suspect. On January the 12th, Firemil was found dead in Lake Superior in Wisconsin. On the lake was an abandoned boat, so the local police decided to investigate it. The anchor was out, so they reeled it in. The corpse of Firemil was found hanging over it. Over here I have a picture of the crime scene.
    On the edge of the picture the boat is visible. The name ‘Disc-o-murder’ is clearly visible. In the middle is the anchor visible. The corpse of Firemil is well tight to it by a thick rope. The anchor is kind of rusty.
    After we investigated the corpse, the cause of death was revealed. It turned out he died of drowning. The time of death was estimated to be somewhere in between 22:00 of January the 11th and 00:00 of January the 12th. The details of the murder are written in this report.
    Since Floppykiller was the owner of the boat, we took him into custody. Since he had no solid alibi, he became our main suspect.
    Judge: I accept the picture of the crime scene and the report as evidence.
    Evidence:
    Picture of the crime scene
    Report about the cause of death, the cause was drowning and the time was in between 22:00 and 00:00
    People:
    Puzzle geek, the judge. He’s not very good at grammar or managing games. Hopefully he’s better at managing this court.
    Vanderwaal, the defence. He’s awesome!
    Biomaniac R2, the prosecution. He doesn’t talk a lot. Also, he likes bionicles a lot for some reason.
    Firemil, the victim. He was drowned to death.
    Floppykiller, the defendant. He owned the boat the corpse was found on.

Penalties: 0/5
    Does the defence have any questions?

A PM to the prosecution:
    There are two witnesses.
    Golden Actor is the man who owns the harbor where Floppykiller kept his boat.
    Xyuzhg was a friend and employee of Firemill. He was on the crime scene when the murder happened.

Now the game really begins.

Defence: Yes, my honor. Just owning the boat doesn’t seem to be enough evidence to accuse Floppykiller of the murder. Do you have any more evidence?
    Police: Well, we also have a witness who saw Floppykiller. The harbor owner, Golden Actor, noticed he left around 20:00. He had two guests with him. One of them was Firemil.
    Defence: And who was that other guest?
    Police: That other guest was Xyuzhg.
    Defence: So why do you believe Xyuzhg didn’t commit the crime?
    Prosecution: Xyuzhg had no motive to commit the murder while Floppykiller does. Floppykiller works for Fire & Mill which is owned by Firemil. Floppykiller has been stealing money from Fire & Mill for quite some time now as you can see in this report. It turns out he has stolen a total of $500,000.- over the last year.

Judge: I accept the report as evidence.
    Evidence:
    Picture of the crime scene
    Report about the cause of death, the cause was drowning and the time was in between 22:00 and 00:00
    Report about Floppykiller stealing $500,000.- from Fire & Mill
    People:
    Puzzle geek, the judge. He’s not very good at grammar or managing games. Hopefully he’s better at managing this court.
    Vanderwaal, the defence. He’s awesome!
    Biomaniac R2, the prosecution. He doesn’t talk a lot. Also, he likes biology a lot for some reason.
    Firemil, the victim. He was drowned to death. He was the CEO of Fire & Mill.
    Floppykiller, the defendant. He owned the boat the corpse was found on. He was an employee at Fire & Mill.
    Xyuzhg, the witness. He also worked at Fire & Mill.
    Golden actor, the harbor master. He witnesses that Firemill, Floppykiller and Xyuzhg left arond 20:00 on Floppykiller his boat.

Penalties: 0/5

Defence: HOLD IT! If Floppykiller stole the money from the company, what did he do with that money?
    Police: We are still investigating where the money went to.
    Defence: That\'s something I want you to look into. Furthermore, is it maybe possible Floppykiller his account got hacked so he would be framed?
    Prosecution: Vanderwaal, do you have any reason to believe that happened? Maybe some evidence?
    Defence: No, I don’t.

Judge: Vanderwaal, please don’t make any accusations like that without evidence. I have to penalize you for that.
    Penalties: 1/5

As the GM, make sure you already figured out most of the plot, so the game won’t slow down, because you have to figure out a few things. It will also prevent you from creating impossible stories. Furthermore, give some information that seems to be useless to you. Maybe the others can do something with it. Even if they can’t, it still makes the game more interesting. Keeping some information behind will also make the game more interesting
    As the judge, summarize the most important information like having a list of the evidence, a list of people and the amount of penalties
    As the defence, asking questions rarely gets you penalized, so do it as often as you like
    As the prosecution, object to almost everything. You might get the defence penalized

This game was inspired by an idea of Puzzle Geek, which in turn was inspired by Phoenix Wright. The details were worked out by Vanderwaal.

So, are people interested in the game? Please also say if you have a preference for a role.

Judges:
    - Jody850
    -
    -

Defence attorneys:
    - Mathdude314
    -
    -

Prosecution attorneys:
    -
    -
    -
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited

If I play, I want to be the defense attorney, but not the defendant. Second priority is judge.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015

Vanderwaal, we agreed that there would be NO penelizing the defence.
    the cases should be able to go both ways.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015

Puzzle, there are more parts of your idea I didn't put in. Including the part where the defence wins if the prosecution wasn't able to convince the judge of the fact the defendant is guilty. The main purpose of that rule is to make sure every game will eventually end. Since that penalizes the prosecution, it seemed fair to me to add the part where the defence can get penalized.
    Note the case can still go both ways. The defence just has to make sure he won't get penalized too often.
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015

well maybe we put a time limit on the court sessions? like 1 week? Real court sessions never go on for more than 3 days.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015 edited

Puzzle, do you mean one IRL week? I doubt that (or any IRL deadline) would work, because the game includes quite a bit waiting on others. Since most of us are in different time zones, it would probably be two to three messages a day. I believe an entire case could easily take 100 messages, so I estimate a game would probably last one to two months. Now I think about it, maybe I should try to reduce that.
    •  

Well, I'm in. But only if WW8 dies.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!

hmm.... derr...
    uhh...
    a month? hmm...-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015

I made a few rule changes and other changes to make the game a bit faster. Those are:

-If there are more than three people, the extra people will aid the defence, prosecution or judge. New members will join teams in the order: defence > prosecution > judge. This means the fourth member will join the defence, the fifth the prosecution, etc.
    - The defence and prosecution don't have to wait till the judge accepts the evidence. They can assume it will be accepted until the judge says otherwise. If the evidence gets denied, all the information already gathered from the evidence won't hold up in court.
    - The defence, prosecution and judge are allowed to ask multiple questions (or objections) at the same time.

Also, now I though about it a bit more the time of the case depends a lot on how long the case lasts (will it get solved on day one or will it last the max of three days) and how active people are. If it's somehow possible for many people to be online at once it's probably possible to make as much progress one day as you'd do otherwise in five days. On the other side, if everybody of one team will quit, the game will encounter many problems.
    In the best case scenario I'd say the case lasts a week and in the worst case scenario a month.

well, the case im making honestly isn't too complex i think, but it'll still be a bit until its done.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015 edited

I love the idea. i bet ill lose every round :P-----------------
    (insert good signature here)

Vanderwaal, you can play too :P
    i havn't told you anything about the case-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

The U.S. Constitution says that all people have a right to a fair and speedy trial. A month isn't really speedy.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2015 edited

can we start with the long lost case who-stole-goldactor's-cookies?

im pretty sure any team im put in is going to lose.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015

Puzzle, I'm under the impression you have the idea I had the idea to make you run the game I worked out and set up, because you came up with the idea.
    I'm here to tell you that the idea I was under the impression of you having, is false. I'm going to make a case myself and run it myself and you're allowed to participate if you like.
    Got it?

WHAT????
    OBJECTION!!!

By the rights of Canadian Law, I declare said content of thisgame to be sorely my own, with volentary help from Vanderwaal. This game is of my own ideas and thinking, and will therefore not be used, abused, or manipulated by any 3rd party. Said game shall only commence via my say so. I have my own interpretation of how this game will be run, and i only gave you permission to come up with viable ideas for rules, subject to my modification. Therefore, this claim of Vanderwaals shall be taken recognized as fraud.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015 edited

Puzzle, it appears like we have an argument about who should make the first case. I'm allowing you to make the second case, but I want the first case for myself. To try and solve this dispute, here's my argumentation:

It has been quite some time since I was the GM of a forum game here. I\'d like to host a game again. I\'ve hosted a few other forum games on another forum, and people enjoyed those.
    Furthermore, I already started up the game and worked out the details.

Puzzle has already been the GM of the previous forum game, WW8. I believe its better if the role of GM switches every now and then.
    Furthermore, WW8 encountered multiple... issues like the grammar. It appears like Puzzle Geek has a few (understatement) problems with managing games. Because Color Court is a new idea it will require even more fine tuning that WW8. Maybe it\'s better somebody else starts it off.

Can other please tell as well who they believe should make the first case?

OBJECTION!
    the GM does effectivly nothing in this game aside from decide rules!
    i should be GM becuase its my game! i invented it, and i created it!
    the case is mainly mandated by the case creator!
    i should do the first case becuase i came up with the idea! and im further along than vanderwaal.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015 edited

i dunno. but the way they both react to this issue. i kinda have to go with vanderwaal be the GM

but i trough this was a entire new game. i cant remember this happened on the forum

maybe use the first case to decide who is gonna be the GM
    (just kidding :P:P:P)-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015

Let me reiterate, this was my idea, which i merely shared with Vanderwaal to see if it would fly. As i invented it, i am the sole owner, and therefore will do the only thing the GM actually does: decide the rules. the first case should also be mine as i created it. plagurism is a crime, Vanderwaal.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015

puzzle geek, I don't mean for this to be insulting, but the reason I quit WW8 was because you weren't very good at being a GM...
    I also agree with Vanderwaals points, (he hasn't been a GM recently, he did all the write up on this thread, we should take turns being forum game GM, and your commitment to being GM is not the greatest)

I'd like to see Vanderwaal be a GM for this game. Although it was your idea puzzle, take pride in that and that others want to play it too.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015

but its my game!!
    and under my rules, THE GM DOES BASICALLY NOPTHING!!!!
    Each round is polied by the case creator. they create the case, hand out evedence, police it, and run that round.
    the ONLY THING the GM does is decide rules. If vanderwaal decided the rules, that means that he going to be STEALING my idea. i dont care that you guys know it was mine, becuase if someone else runs it/creates the rules ect, its not mine anymore! It's like if bill gates came up with windows 14, and then someone else ame along and was like, oh hey, windows 14, good idea, im designing it completely differantly than the way bill gates had planned, and is now my software. thats how i feel. I made this game, i have rules decided, and i only went to vanderwaal to see if it would be a good forum game. If i hadn't done that, vanderwaal would never have made this thread, and therefore, i would be the GM regardless. Why? becuase its my idea! the GM is basicly non exsistent in the forum game. the gmaes run themselves. Im only asking to decide the rules, and run the first case. Im even willing to decide on rules WITH vanderwaal, because SOME of his ideas are worth a grain of salt in my opinion. but by no means should vanderwaal be the sole declared "GM" of this forum game. with my rules, everyone gets the chance to govern the game, and play the game. My rules are fair for everyone. and if you guys want to be the GM of a game, then invent your game, and dont steal mine. Mathdude created many games, like WW7, guess the number, stuff like that. but none of you guys were like, "hey, math, you hosted a lot of games, its my turn, thanks for the idea, its mine now".

The game is my creation, and i will create the rules for it. I am willing to compromise with vanderwaal in him giving good suggestions and ideas, and us deciding the rules together, but afterwards, i want the first case. in addition, after the first case, someone else's case will be made, then THEY will host it, allowing the so called "GM" to play too.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Puzzle, first of all, when I said GM, I mean the same as you do with 'case creator'. GM is short for Game Master. In my opinion, the person who makes the case and runs it is the master of the game. Making the rules is a second task of the GM.
    As I see it, the very first case is made by the person who also writes the rules. After that the GM (because repeating is good, with GM I mean both the person who writes the rules as the person who writes the case) can choose to give the role of GM to somebody else. That person can then make his own case, but also change the rules a little if he sees fit.

Look at what happened with Werewolves. Unihedron made the very first thread. After that Xyuzhg took it over. He slightly changed the rules and managed the following games. The basics were the same, only details changed. I imagine pretty much the same. Examples of changes that the next GM could change if he would see fit are: "The police presents the basic evidence at the start? No, I want the defence and prosecution to investigate the crime scene themselves" or "A maximum of three days? No, I believe there should be no max at all".

Now I addressed that miscommunication, it seems like you believe I'm stealing your game and that makes you very upset. Not as upset as when you figured out you were the werewolf in WW7 though. Then you also added many question marks and explanation marks (bad joke).

Now, Puzzle Geek, let me ask you two questions. First of all, do you believe it would be good if somebody else would host a forum game and you would take a short brake from it?

Second of all, if somebody else would make a forum game, what would you rather have:
    A: that person hosts a game that has already been played on the forum before (for example: werewolves)
    B: that person hosts a new game he got from another forum (for example: who is the mole)
    C: that person hosts a new game he invented himself
    D: that person hosts a game you invented, but haven't hosted so far

I would like it if somebody else would pick D. That means that person believes my idea is very good. Nevertheless, I would want that person to give me the credits. But what would you prefer and why?

anything BUT d because that way, the owner has all rights to the thread on that forum.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

I think the easiest solution, then, is to postpone this until after WW8 and another forum game (hosted by me, Xyuzhg, or Vanderwaal) dies.
    The other forum game probably shouldn't be a variant of werewolves (come on, too many werewolf games and not enough players!)

Maybe TheDudeFromCI should host one. He's active!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015

I would like to see some sort of gameshow forum game :P-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015

Well, it seems like all the arguing was for nothing, because this game can't even start with just two players.
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

I play. But I don't want to lose all my progress in WW8. Maybe after a while, WW8 can resume?-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Well, if we don't get a 3rd person the game can't start.

well vanderwaal, if we do it my way, the other person of us, you or me, can play. the one who doesn't do the first case.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015

begin

Vanderwaal is the GM!-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

and on whose authority do you concede that?-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015

case one: who is gonna be the gm for case one.-----------------
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015

ok guys! case one is MADE!
    Now, who wants to be which role?
    defense, prosicution, or judge?-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited

Well, I'm willing to participate in your game and I don't really care what role I'll get. However, I'll participate on one condition: check your spelling, grammar, interpunction and caps!
    *prosecution
    •  

We already decided this! Vanderwaal is the GM!-----------------

oh did we now?
    mathdude, choose a role -_------------------
    puzzled
    •  

If Vanderwaal is the GM, I want the prosecuting attorney. If puzzle geek is the GM, I'm not playing, and I'll get everyone else to quit as well. Muhahaha!-----------------

thats kinda rude you know.
    i put a lot of time and effort into this, you don't need to be so cynical >.<-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015

im gonna be the movie watcher *gets popcorn*-----------------
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015

so, mathdude is the prosicution, jodi is the defense, and vanderwaal is the judge, that ok?
    Great!
    We will give it one more day for people to join, and the we STARTE-----------------
    puzzled
    i dont think this is succeeding
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

Is this case over?-----------------