Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015 edited

<xyuzhg-edit>Official challenge compilation: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...

Ok, so due to the success of my other thread, I decided to make a new one. I re-used a challenge from the old thread.
    I will make more but here's my first two. I encourage you to post your own.

***** Mathdude314\\'s Challenges *****

Remember: You use the white pieces to build. Oh, and new rule: distance joints must be ZERO LENGTH, like a hinge but breakable.
    You also need to stop the green block from falling, so don\'t use all your connectors.

I was not able to test this challenge, but:
    Rules:
    Build a structure to defend against incoming bullets.
    You have $10000 to spend. Prices are in game.
    If your own blocks touch the target, you still fail. (I suggest not using up the entire platform...)
    The timer underneath the platform indicates the winning threshold.

You can only use the blocks provided and only in the red area. And CERTAINLY no triggers.
    (Also, no connecting joints to the background or to pre-made objects.)

This is my entry:
    15 Stone Alternate Triangles at $45 apiece = $675
    4 Stone 4x0.5 Blocks at $250 apiece = $1000
    3 Stone 2x2 Blocks at $525 apiece = $1575
    1 Wood 4x0.5 Block at $100
    1 Weld Joint = $75
    Total: $3425

This is a variant of challenge 7, the ball-sorting challenge, of the first thread.
    The colored balls are indistinguishable, but the black ones are related. A red ball produces a light, small black. A green ball produces a medium-sized, slightly heavy black one. A blue one produces a heavy, large black ball. The black ones cannot go in the bins.

Challenge

I don\'t have an entry yet.

This is a series of challenges.
    Rules:
    No triggers, browns, yellows, sensors, CC\'s, power sources, gravity, editing pre-made objects, attaching joints to pre-made objects ("oh! I\'ll attach dummy joins with \'collide connected\' false!"), gluing to pre-made objects, or setting the connection shapes from settings.

So easy, you should be as creative as possible.

Negative friction, traps, and more. All in one. Solves permanently.

Suppress your instinct to set the restitution of the ball.

Two shapes
    or the 10-shape all-static all-circle solution where the ball hits every circle exactly once in order of radius!

This one\\'s really tricky.

Three shapes and three joints.

Time limit: 1.5 seconds! No motors.

Was a bit easier than I thought it would be. I knew speed was the essence, but...

Random number generators. There are 5 possible patterns. All are possible. Only one entry please!

This one took a LOT of tweaking — I never mentioned... SEQUENCED MODULES!! Anyway, tried over 20 times in a row:

This one is actually hard. I\\'m letting you set the world gravity, by vector (x, y) or by degrees (r, ø). You can set the properties of the action, but nothing else. And you can ONLY set gravity.

That\'s all for now. More levels coming soon!

Scripting Challenges! These challenges force you to USE triggers! But there\'s a catch: you can\'t just do whatever you want!
    So far, only three challenges:
    Challenge 5a

Challenge 5b

Challenge 5c in the same spirit as one of the challenge 4 games: (warning: difficult!)
    Note: Due to technical difficulties, go to the official challenge compilation.
    -----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015 edited

how big is 1 on the scale mathdude? also, you forgot to enable source code on the 2nd one.

Source code enabled by Xyuzhg.-----------------
    puzzled
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015 edited

Here's a simple solution for the second challenge, with total cost merely $425 (maybe even better with some optimization).
    The basic idea is that while a bullet might pierce an iron shield if it hits head on, the shield can deflect the bullet at an angle to minimize the force transfer.
    -----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015

.. except it failed Xyuzhg xD
    •  

If only I realized I should have added that a weld joint must be ON the shapes...

EDIT: Due to technical difficulties (post limit maybe?), I have to move challenge 5c here. Please read the challenge 5 spoiler before playing:
    -----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  

(1) New challenge posted.
    (2) By scale 1, I mean on challenge 2 go to the editor and open settings and under "Basic" set Scale to 1.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)

$1575
    -----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  

WOW.-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited

(url)
    Even with the weld joint rule patch, you could just attach an additional 4 x 0.5 wood block and weld joint connecting the two others for a theoretical cost of $600.

Anyway, here's my two-shape solution to the third challenge.
    The solution takes advantage of the fact that even though the three black balls may collide with the same force angle, the time at which this happens is dependent on its radius, producing minuscule differences in the bounce speed.
    (I also took the liberty to increase the viewport size.)

In case you're wondering, the two statics have restitutions of (left) 1 and (right) 0.7. No crazy physics here.

Oh, and before Bio might complain that my solution doesn't work on his computer, here are some screenshots of the same run:
    (url)
    (url)
    -----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015

Wow Xyuzhg, that is freaking epic!
    Nice!!-----------------
    •  

Xyuzhg's second challenge entry works well, but the 1st one never does, it messes up on the 17th ball... Idk why it works for you :/
    •  

Look in challenge 4 spoiler! It has 5 levels: EPLS (easy peasy lemon squeezy), pretty easy (I want to use high-restitution blocks for this one), medium, hard, and one that's randomly generated (only 5 possible outcomes).
    I entered in 4a and 4c.-----------------
    •  

NOTICE
    I edited challenge 4e because it was too easy. Now there are 10 patterns. Your entry must solve all possibilities.-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015 edited

Here's a solution to 4e which uses 21 of the exact same 0.08 radius sphere, each with restitution 1.

The mean number of different red balls hit per run is 5.3 (ranging from 2 to 10) , so clearly, there is a lot of recycling.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

Wow very nice! I saw what looked like the 10 run.-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

couldn't find the 2 bal hit run, but found a few 3's. xyuzhg, stop dominating everything :P-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015 edited

It's just his nature. He's quite intelligent and is able to do this. Of course, I tried to imitate his style in an entry for challenge 4b:

(see Challenge 4 spoiler)-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015

Anyone else? Got some cool challenges?-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015 edited

Here's a challenge from me (which was a little exercise in level design at first).

Objective
    This is a sorting challenge.
    You must sort generated boxes which are essentially identical except for their initial rotation, as indicated by a small indentation in one of the sides.
    Exactly six of each type is generated each time, but in a random order.
    The boxes are color coded for your convenience.

Rules
    - Build entirely inside the red polyline box.
    - Do not edit/connect via joints/glue to the world and premade objects except for the background.
    - No triggers
    - No pinks/bombs
    - Shape restitution and friction are limited to [0,1].

-----------------
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015

except it doesn't sort of the reds from the blues on my computer :P-----------------
    puzzled

Except i cant load it in the editor too.

Challenge 3: (similar to xyuzhg's in a way) for some reason, the blue ball has 2 trajectories

4B 3 shape:

4B 2 shape:

4B 1 shape spaz attack

This was faster! (it had to be done)

The Blender

Sling shot!

Did you say "Timed"?

Im SURE it will solve.... eventually...
    -----------------
    puzzled

Do note that I'm using the editor v2.10. I'm not sure why you'd use v2.04 (as shown by the context menu of your levels) when there's a newer version.

EDIT: Also upgraded my solution to X1.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Xyuzhg, your challenge wasn't quite that hard.

Or a one-shape solution:
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015

Challenge 4f is posted! This one is actually hard since you need to navigate a labyrinth that changes every 10 seconds. I will let you set the world gravity to make it easier.-----------------
    •  

okay so, I'm sorry to say, the reason I haven't participated in challenges in a long time is because I've grown really REALLY tired of simple, bouncy solutions...

that said, I made a function that will destroy any block with a large enough impact.
    What I would like to see, is this challenge here, done with no bouncy stuff.

sorry Vanderwaal... I don't like your entries :/
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015

Because I found Bio's no bounce idea so great, I designed a simple challenge based on that alone.

Objective
    Get the acceleration-sensitive block to infect the sole yellow. I calculated the suspension spring constants such that the object resists up to 1.5g of acceleration (orthogonally).

Rules
    - Build anywhere inside the level except inside the infected box (for those looking for loopholes)
    - No browns/yellows
    - No controllables
    - Do not edit the world or any premade objects
    - No triggers
    - No gluing/joint connections to the infected box or anything inside it

-----------------

The problem with 4f is that it's hard to see any reasonably simple solution outside of using high restitution objects.

-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited

Another reason i don't submit entries is because I dislike seeing everyone else's entry...

also, i cheated. i used a trigger. it has 1 line of code - set play speed = 9 (max)

•  

There goes Xyuzhg, always ruining our fun. :P

Actually, I was going to do something like that. I assume you did about a 60° gravity direction?

Heh. I've got an entry for yours... actually NVM, since my comp just CAN'T run 400 FPS. The best I can get on speed 1 with no shapes and all other windows closed is about 80 fps. And I don't want to mess with yours, since that might be cheating.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

You never said 'no gravity controllers'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited

It's probably time for another new concept.

Objective
    Standard stuff. Infect all the yellows and don\'t infect the greens.

Rules
    - If the brown touches any shapes you made yourself, you lose. Good luck with that
    - Don\'t edit any premade objects, including the world
    - No browns
    - No controllable objects
    - No triggers
    - Don\'t attach anything to premade objects

Example:

•  

Ooh! Interesting concept, Vanderwaal. It's like a class CI-puzzle, but as a challenge. Don't think I've seen that done before.-----------------
    •  

guys, idk if it's only me? but there are often bugs with putting desigins inside spoilers, and even worse when putting designs inside spoilers inside spoilers, so please try and refrain from doing this...

specifically you Mathdude... you love spoilers more than you like making designs... http://gyazo.com/0ebbc228d2daa1d1ebc...

http://gyazo.com/21a34ced017dc60438f...
    •  

For one there's no glitch it's just you. For two, how did you get the site to invert colors when the designs aren't?-----------------
    •  

Here's my entry for Vanderwaal's challenge!

I added triggers to make it interesting. But, they can be deleted and the level still works.
    You never mentioned power sources, so I used them.-----------------
    •  

Mathdude, on your first post, click challenge 4, then click hide, then click challenge 4 again, then scroll down to challenge 4d and tell me if it opens properly. this applies to all spoilers from what I can see...
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015 edited

so I made a solution to the no impact rule addition I made to Xyuzhg's sorting level, is anyone else going to make one..? :/

it works 99% of the time... unfortunately sometimes it does have weird bugs and either puts one in the wrong spot or gets stuck entirely :/
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015

I see now...-----------------
    •  

Challenge 5 is out!
    It looks similar to challenge 4, but the rules are different. In Challenge 4, you have to build objects with no triggers. In Challenge 5, you USE triggers to win.-----------------

Explination of what is required for challenge 5? not sure if i understand derp. couldn't i just teleport thr object to the cords of the yellow and then set gravity to 0?-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

Ok.
    You can only use the custom function "Move" in the Allowed Functions package to actually do things. You can use functions like Get Position, Number < Number, Assign String, etc. But the only thing you can do to move the ball is my custom "Move" function.
    (So basically, no Rotate Shape Around World Point, Set Linear Velocity, teleporting, cloning, making brothers, joints, and so on, EXCEPT for my custom Move function.)

And you can only edit the ACTION. Here's an example:

Load in editor to see. (The challenge fails since you infect greens.)

EDIT: Fixed a security hole. Now you are limited to 7 calls to the Move function per step. You can have more in your code as long as at most 7 are called in one step.-----------------
    •  

Not that hard, Mathdude314. xD xD

(url)
    -----------------
    •  

I like these coding challenges. Do more of these. :D-----------------
    •  

Yes, THAT is easy, but did you try the second challenge in that series? I made two and will make another very shortly.
    EDIT: I made the challenge, but due to technical difficulties I had to put it 4 posts down since that was the closest.-----------------
    •  

Yo, Mathdude314. Got anything harder? ^^

(url)
    -----------------
    •  

hey TheDudeFromCI, do my no-impact version of Xyuzhg's challenge ;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015

i think ill pass on these challegnes. I've never done anythign with custom functions ever.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

Vanderwaal's Challenge:
    -----------------
    •  

Sorry, I had trouble with the other non-coding challenges. T_T-----------------
    •  

Oh! Also, can we clean up this thread a bit? It's getting very difficult to find anything, now. :/-----------------