Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited

Instructions
    • Arrows or WASD to move as usual
    • You are the BLUE square, opponent is the RED square
    • Get to the blue flag before the opponent gets to the red flag
    • The opponent was cleverly timed to finish on EXACTLY the 45-second mark
    • Don't touch lava!
    • Purple platforms drop!
    • This game is possible!

I know, it's not the best. But, I wanted to see if I could make something like this.
    Don't even call the red square an AI. It's a complete MESS of timers and I want a better method. And one time I finished the course in 41.3 seconds so it's not even optimal.

_888__888___888__888___8____8__8__888_9__9_4
    8____8___8_8___8_8__8__8____8__8_8____9_9__4
    8_88_8___8_8___8_8__8__8____8__8_8____99___4
    8__8_8___8_8___8_8__8__8____8__8_8____9_9
    _88___888___888__888___8888__88___888_9__9_4-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015

Wow, great job Math. I'm impressed. ^^
    I beat it after 7 tried. I kept falling in the lava over that spot where the platforms drop out. ._. But, I finally beat Red with 4.7 seconds to spar. :P-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

again mathdude, you CONTINUE to keep having a bounce after you jump!
    i HATE that!
    i need to be able to jump right after i land andstead of waiting to stop bouncing.
    the ai can jump imdiatly after bouncing so why cant we?
    also, the lateral motion sucks. WAY to slidey.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

I fixed that! I set the restitution of the character to 0! What else do you want?
    EDIT:
    (1) The collisions were by BioManiac R2 not me so blame HIM!
    (2) You should be able to... There's like a 6-pixel range where you can jump in mid-air. Again this is Bio's fault.
    (3) Holding up jumps continuously. So, simply hold the up arrow to get past the falling platforms.
    (4) IT'S NOT AN AI! It's a mess of timers! Change one block and he could fail epically!
    (5) If you actually played the design, I can't belive you didn't see the credit to BioManiac R2.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850

i can't even jump :S-----------------
    (insert good signature here)
    •  

What do you mean? I tried it and I can jump. Puzzle tried it and HE can jump (though he's too whiny to admit it). TheDude finished with 4.1 seconds.

Are you using SPACE to jump? It's UP or W to jump.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorJodi850
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015

I use W to jump' you said wasd are the controls-----------------
    (insert good signature here)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Math, are you seriously blaming Bio for flaws in YOUR design? Shouldn't you, you know, avoid using other people their work if it doesn't work like you want? You can just as well make it yourself.
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

even if the charactors resistitution is 0, the blocks isn't which means you still bounce mathdude.
    it is SOMEWHAT possible if you constantly hold jump. but really, requiring one to be pixel perfect is kinda garbage. -_------------------
    puzzled
    •  

I thought it DID work okay. I was specifically trying to AVOID having problems!-----------------
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015 edited

The design is fine as long as you make the proper changes as people have suggested.
    After clearing it with 13.1 seconds on the clock, I saw clearly that the main difficulty was the bouncing issue.
    So, I took a peek at your design - ripping the play code (sorry!) - and changed it so that the blocks' restitutions are also zero. It played much better.

I've whispered you a source-code enabled version with all restitutions = 0 (thank the batch modify method).
    It's up to your discretion whether you want to adopt that improvement or not.

In my own opinion, you might also want to make your level dimensions more consistent across scenes as well. The viewport for the main game scene is 600 x 550, but when you get the win/lose screen, the scene itself has dimensions 500 x 500 with a bit of dead space on the sides.

EDIT: Welp, I also noticed that the W actually wasn't linked to jumping either. I've changed that too for you.
    Do make sure to actually check your keymapping before getting impatient. It's quite important.-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Math and patient are never in the same sentence, unless the words 'is not' are in between them.
    •  

Why is the you lose screen blurry?-----------------
    •  

@Vanderwaal
    Of course they do! If mathematicians were always impatient, then Andrew Wiles could not have proved Fermat's Last Theorem! It took something like 30 years to solve it!-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)

@Mathdude

I'll correct Vanderwaal, **Mathdude314 and patient**