Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015 edited

Somehow, when the ball touches the white area, its speed greatly increases. I assume this is because of reducing the FPS form 60 to 30? It's kind of annoying. Or there's something I'm overlooking.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015 edited

First, I'll say this as many times as I need to: don\'t forget to enable source code.

Note that FPS has little to do with steps per second, with the delta time being something that you really should avoid changing.
    The reason for the increase in speed is actually because there isn't one. You've changed the step time x play speed factor accidentally.

During the no-gravity bouncing, the level was set to a step delta time to 0.0041667 = 1/240 seconds at a play speed of 1. You then changed it to 0.01667 = 1/60 s at a play speed of 2. As a consequence, you see the 'increase' of speed by a factor of 8.

This means that you have the issue that either your gravity is acting too weakly and you actually need to slow the level down when you reach the white area (by decreasing the delta t), or your ball is traveling too quickly and you need to slow it down by a factor of 8 to get your desired effect.

This also boils down to the fact that you never actually change gravity when you have the 'space bounce'. Additionally, I'm not sure why in your gravity function you multiply the impulse vector by 0.01667 (the step length).

Here's an illustration of a fix, preserving your gravity that I assume you want to keep:
    -----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015

Cool design! theres a lot that can be done with this concept!-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

Ok:
    (1) It's not "my" gravity function. I didn't code it, you or Firemil did in the "Artificial non-gravity made with IMPULSE" thread.
    (2) Ok, that was silly of me. Instead, I'll code in a setup that slows the ball down.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  

I did my own fix:
    -----------------