Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited

You no doubt have noticed the game Agar.io by now.
    I decided to play soem tonigh aaaaaand...
    well...
    i got on the leaderboard...
    in fact
    i even got first place...
    in fact..

i had a high score of 10823 points O.O
    Proof:
    (url)

I did not know the people whom i was playing with, nor was there any foul play involved, this was a genuine high score.
    I challenge you to beat it :P

(my name was "Some Guy", btw)
    This score my not be high compared to others you might see, but for me, this was really a big acomplishment.
    The rest of the round played out as follow:
    I continued to dominate, and tehn eventually i noted that the high score baord only had 9 names. then 8.
    The server had closed to outside palyers, and when someone died, they were sent somewhere else.
    So i prodeced to chase down and eat the rest of my opponants.

one

by

one

(sound creepy? it should O.o)

We were down to the final two, and then the server was like "ok, yeah, you've played enough, ima shut down now", and sent us both to a room which had just started.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

I got the first place on one of my first runs (I think it was the first time I gained at least ~200 mass).

I got #1 by pure luck: I was a medium-sized blob, not on the leaderboard, and I stumbled upon a big blob that just hit a mine.There was a plenty of people about the same size as me, but I managed to eat the most remains of that ex-big blob, grew a bit more than others and then devoured everybody around me in an instant. That didn't last long though, I just started playing and didn't even know about mine-shooting.
    I don't remember my best score (I doubt I got 10000), but I've seen higher scores from other people.

I like that this game actually has strategy elements. You can get to top 10 mostly by skill.-----------------
    LD35!
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

i got that by only following the "rule of two".
    Never split unless you only have one blob. If you have more than 2 blobs, wait to merge, ect.
    Most people loss becuase they are not patient and they get greedy.-----------------
    puzzled
    *emerges from the dead* Hm, so some strategies that I use:

+ Dark theme tends to work best, it lets you see the full size of all cells, including Japan and other misleading skins.
    + 7 mass particles causes a virus to split. You need to be at least 35 large to eject a mass particle, and a mass particle is ~18 large. This means that you have to be about 150 large to cause a virus to split.
    + In a low-risk situation, you can split into 4 or more parts in a line, and sweep the board clean of a wide swath of proteins.
    + If you are ~70 or smaller, you can hide behind viruses without causing them to jitter.
    + You can just waltz right through viruses without fear if you are smaller than 133.
    + Leaderboard players rarely go for tiny players, so you can follow along the edge without much fear of getting eating. The risk of them splitting simply isn't worth the reward of consuming you, after all.
    + A cell is about to merge when the two parts start overlapping. The fastest way to force a merge after that is to put the cursor in the center of the screen.
    + Be aware of the map borders. You can trap smaller players between a cell and a hard spot, just be careful to not have the same done to you.
    + With some skill, you can slip between two larger cells without getting eaten. Follow along the outside of both borders carefully.
    + Conversely, you can straddle a virus without getting nuked. This can be used to consume anyone hiding inside, although it can be risky if you accidentally expand too much from the growth.
    + If there is a player attempting to hide in a virus, but you can see part of them, feed that part until they get nuked by the virus. Then clean up the mess.
    + You can unevenly distribute mass among your pieces by tossing mass to the one you want to be the largest. This works best with the largest one against a wall, as it will also throw mass. This can be used for two primary reasons -- moving your mass from smaller pieces after a virus attack, or luring players in.
    + If you get nuked a virus, it's usually just best to cut your losses and distribute your smaller parts to some lucky beginners. You can always eat them later if needed.
    + If you are 50-100% larger than another player, it's best to just split and surround them until you merge again. You can follow them precisely, as you are the same speed or faster than they are, and have no need to worry about them eating enough protein to eat you. Also, if they attempt to escape by splitting, you'll consume at least one of their halves, giving you enough mass to split again and consume their other half.
    + Once you are skilled at judging how much you can consume with a given size, you can start looking around for situations where there are increasing sizes of cells in a row. Better yet, there are situations where you pass through the larger cells to eat the smaller ones first, then loop back around and take the large ones.
    + Teams mode is good for testing new strategies before using them in FFA. Use larger teammates to hide behind.
    + Also, in teams mode, you can hide under slightly larger players of another team to get close to smaller enemies. Be careful though, if you're seen, their teammates might feed them to help them eat you, and it's somewhat difficult to position yourself to intercept incoming mass.

I typically go by Skimner Phi or Ace Queen, you may have seen me around.
    (url)

[edit]
    It appears that I've gained a following. I've seen several people around starting to use spinoffs of "Ace Queen".
    (url) (url)-----------------
    Tumblr full of random stuff
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015

Aha! i use lots of the techniques you mentioned. my favorite is the splitting into 2 blobs of the same size as your foe and chasing them down, and when you combine, you eat them :)-----------------
    puzzled
    What the heck is this? the first section of spore?

EDITED by BioManiac - no swearing please Daily :)-----------------
    She looked like she had never seen anything
    quite so horrible
    in all her life
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

uhh, kinda? except no.
    go to agar.io in the web browser url bar.-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015 edited

Click to add food to the tank. You can't place food below the black line or on objects. Can you make a green shape win?-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015

Nobody noticed... They thought it was some random comment and didn't care...-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited

Please remember to enable source code when asking for help.

Your SetMass function isn't implemented correctly. Instead of using GetMass in the start of the function, you should directly be using the input Mass. For example:

As a side note, although I understand the annoyance of explicit temporary variables, please do name them anyway.-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015

Honestly, I think the best option is to have a "share source code" option INSIDE THE SAVE DIALOG, for last-minute checking.-----------------
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015

i agree math. the share source code button is very out of the way -_------------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015

Done.-----------------
    i was playing agar and this happened
    https://i.gyazo.com/19e95c3c432a810cdd1ed9f190d8458a.png
    we were all crapolas and we were also changing colours
    i was suppose to be leekspin, but it automatically changes to crapola.