Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

++++++ HELLO and WELCOME to the First Annual Color Infection Egg Drop Competition (or Contest)! ++++++
    In this challenge, you need to build a contraption that will let the egg fall SAFELY to the ground!
    But there are RULES!!

***** RULES OF ENTRY *****
    (1) You may Not Use TRIG-gers! (You may not use triggers. Obvious exceptions: pause, speed, colors, zoom+camera, etc)
    (2) There must be no user input! (Obvious exceptions: as above)
    (3) You cannot use STAT-ics! (You can\'t use statics.)
    (4) Density: [0.1, 60]. Friction: [0, e). Restitution: (0, 1).
    (5) Joints: Only DISTANCE joints with a break length of 0.1, and SPRING joints with the three preset strengths (weak/normal/strong), are allowed!
    (6) You can OHN-lee put joints on YOUR SHAPES, not pre-made objects or-r-r the BACK-Ground!! (You can only attach joints to your own shapes, not pre-made objects or the background.)
    (7) You must build en-TI-er-leee above the rrrrehed Line! and in the Bounds! (You must build entirely above the red line and in bounds.)
    (8) Of COURSE! You may not ED-it the pree-made OBJECTS!! (You can\'t edit pre-made objects. Exceptions: You can move the EGG HERE text as long as it's in bounds. You can delete the "The field of the building" text if it's in your way.)
    (9) Move the "EGG HERE" text if you need to change the starting position of your egg!
    (10) Moar baaannnnned STUFF!! No: Gravity Controllers! Module Shapes! Having objects inside the egg! Power sources! (More banned stuff: no gravity controllers, modules, having objects inside the egg, and power sources)

***** GOALS *****
    (1) Avoid letting the egg absorb too much stress and damage!
    (2) In order to take a win, you must let the egg LEAVE the build box and then survive for 30 seconds, 60 for a sure win!
    (3) Entries that survive between 30 and 60 seconds can be disqualified or counted as won for any reason! So if you don't want to get into this complication, make sure your entry survives for 60 seconds to get a sure win!

***** ENTERING & JUDGING *****
    // (1) Entering for round 1 opened June 15, 2015 and closed June 29, 2015 (2 weeks to enter).
    (1) Entering for round 2 opens July 4, 2015 and closes July 18, 2015.
    (2) Entries will be judged on Mac OS X 10.10.3 running Safari 8.0.5 since that's my computer! If your entry fails on my Mac but works on your PC, I'll let you know exactly what's wrong. Be sure you have time to modify it! (But I recommend you make an entry with at least a week or two to spare, in case something happens and I can't judge it.)
    (3) Anyone who completes the challenge will qualify for the NEXT round! In that round, the egg must fall a longer distance, survive for a longer time (+5 and +10 seconds per round), and it will be more delicate! But luckily, you'll have more room to create your entry! If you can pass all five rounds, you win the competition and you're granted the Official Color Infection Egg Saver award!
    (4) Round 2 will begin a week after round 1 ends, round 3 begins a week after round 2 ends, and so on. All rounds last 2 weeks.

***** Without further delay, I present to you, the Competition Zone! *****

Good luck, and may the best entry win.

***** AMENDMENTS *****
    (1) 6/19/2015: Reduced the time allowed for each round to two weeks. As of time written, you only have 9 days to enter!! Enter now!

Edited by Xyuzhg: Enable source code-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015 edited

I've enabled the source code for you. I hope you don't mind my early submission.
    One shape. Of course, completely legal. Based on my experiences with playing table tennis.

This may also be the fastest descent type possible. :P-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

I think I should get the 'egg shaker' award: shake the egg as much as possible without breaking it.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

Ok, this is way too easy. Just wait for the NEXT round. :P

Vanderwaal, why the lag? Oh, those springs. You sort of might want to, um, make them invisible. I did just that, 30 FPS.

I wanted to start with something easy for the people like floppykiller, jodi, Madball, and BioManiac R2 who don't get on as much.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2015

UPDATES
    (1) Amendment: The contest now lasts TWO WEEKS instead of four.
    (2) I made my own entry:
    -----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015

BUMP!
    Normally you would have one day left, but since I'm returning from vacation and I don't have access to my computer, I'm postponing the judging for one day.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015

Obviously no one is putting any thought into the forum except me. I was being optimistic when I thought I would get four entries.
    Well, both of you advance to the next round. Round 2 will have a longer distance and the times are 35 and 70!

I WILL ALLOW LATE JOINERS (people who didn\'t finish round 1) IN ROUND TWO.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015

" Ok, this is way too easy. Just wait for the NEXT round. :P " - Mathdude314

you told us not to enter it.... I even told you in chat I was waiting for the next round :/ ...
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

Oops, forgot to add the date. Updated original post.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

oh... i should have read the first post... i didn't know the challenge was going to be the same, just harder every time... but uhm...

the same solution will still work? I made a version of Xyuzhg's solution and got it to work for this "harder" challenge as well :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015

I did have to make some adjustments, but in the end I made an even better egg shaker.

•  
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015

Bio, please actually post your entries?

I made the spring constants 200... Is it STILL too easy?!?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

I see no point in posting the same entry Xyuzhg already posted again.

You mean you edited the 2nd challenge to make it harder? what was it before?
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

Look at the challenge archives. There's a longer distance to fall in round 2, as well as a longer time to survive, and the springs are weaker.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

yes, I know that, but you said "I made the spring constants 200... Is it STILL too easy?!?"

and I'm asking if you edited challenge 2 since I posted "I made a version of Xyuzhg's solution and got it to work for this "harder" challenge as well :/ "

because if you didn't change it since then, then yes it is still too easy. if you did change it, then I need to try again.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

Ok, I wonder if I should for round three do some experiments until I find the right distance.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015

You could also add some obstacles to the screen. Like adding hills to the floor or some bumpers somewhere during the drop.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

So... I got here 12 days late... This seems like a failure.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015

As if it couldn't get any harder.
    -----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Are you sure it's harder? I barely changed a thing to my old entry and it still works.
    •  

What? Ok. In round 4 I will add mines that have 42 restitution so they cause chaos and cause the egg to yes, explode.-----------------
    •  

I still think the idea of obstacles or something would make it *harder*