Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2015 edited

Basically the second version of: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... and originally inspired by http://twothirdsofaverage.creativity... . I decided to up the margin to 3/4, just to see what happened to the numbers.
    Also since there are new members (floppykiller, Coloringmylife, YSNP, IINS, and IHCL) there would probably be different strategies.

Welcome to Guess 3/4 of the Average!
    In this game, you will do one thing: Guess a number from 0 to 100. It can be any number (including decimals like 6.5, pi, 42.424242, etc). You are allowed to pick 0 or 100.

All you do is whisper a number to me. (To whisper you type Mathdude314 in the "Whisper your comments to" field above the comment box, and write your post.)
    Contest ends 7/9/2015 and when we have 6 people entering.
    You may only whisper one number. If you change your mind, please edit your first post, then whisper "I changed my mind, please read".

To be the closest to 3/4 of the average of all guesses. Whoever guesses closest will win a special edition game made just for this contest. If two or more people win both earn it.

* DO NOT chat about strategies.
    * I participate too, but my number is decided beforehand, since I\'m the one managing the game.
    * DO NOT pick outside the range [0, 100].
    * It must be possible for me to decode it. So Vanderwaal, your trick is allowed, since it\'s a solvable integral.
    -----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2015 edited

Final guesses (to four decimal places):
    Mathdude314: 3.1415
    Xyuzhg: 15
    Vanderwaal: 16.99 (could not obtain higher precision)
    BioManiac R2: 9.8696
    puzzle geek: 28
    YSNP: 13.37

RESULTS
    Players: 6
    Average: 14.3951
    3/4 Average: 10.79

The gold medal goes to BioManiac R2, however he loses it for messing up the results TWICE.
    The silver medal goes to YSNP.
    The bronze medal goes to Xyuzhg.

4th place: Mathdude314
    5th place: Vanderwaal
    6th place: puzzle geek

Other prizes (I'm going to give a prize to everyone, just because...):
    The Most Logical Response goes to Mathdude314 for having the lowest number!
    The Most Creative Choice award goes to Vanderwaal, for putting the answer in the form of a calc problem, plus usnig the exchange rate.
    The Consolation Prize goes to puzzle geek for being the farthest from the result.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited

I have a simple strategy. Write your number in a very complicated way, so Math will struggle with finding out what your number is. ^_^
    Use integrals, e, pi, logarithms, factorials etc.

If you like not knowing what your own number is, say you want the value of €75,- in dollars according to the course the moment Math determines the results.

Maybe even a combination. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015

@Vanderwaal - I do not understand your strategy at all... even if you made it super extremely incomprehensible... that's what WolframAlpha is for :P
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited

[Whisper Xyuzhg >>> Mathdude314]

I'll go with 15 again.-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015 edited

[Whisper Mathdude314 >>> Vanderwaal]
    You never actually told me your number. You just gave me a calculus problem. I can do it easily. Except that e^x log(x) part. Is log(x) the natural log or the log base 10? Calculators (at least where I live) use log(x) for base 10. Well, I still have approximate integration, and since I am only using three decimal places anyway...

Your integral has three terms, (0.51x)^π, 0.75(e^x)log(x), and -8sin(10x).

For the first term, the answer is simply (0.51π)^(π+1), times 100/51. This is about 13.813.
    The second term has a derivative that's not an elementary function. So I approximated it to 16.1387 with my computer. Multiplying by 0.75 gives 12.104.
    The third term is obviously 0. (It's effectively 8/10 sin(u) from 0 to 10π, which has five intervals of length 2π that all cancel.)

The result is 25.917. If you meant log base 10 in the second term, then you only add 5.2567 in the second step, giving 19.070.

And yes, this is Mathdude314, not Xyuzhg.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015 edited

[Whisper Mathdude314 >>> Xyuzhg]
    The average factor is different. I doubt you'll win.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015

Bump.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

Whisper BioManiac -> MathDude314

(url)
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015

Five so far... Anyone else?-----------------
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

[Whisper Xyuzhg >>> Mathdude314]

Who cares? :P-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

does 5 include yourself? or is it 5 other people?

can you tell us who is entered? (not their entry, just their name)
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

Ok, sure.

As of 7/9 at 2:40 UTC, it's...
    Me (pre-selected at start)
    Vanderwaal (number not known)
    Xyuzhg
    YSNP
    puzzle geek
    BioManiac R2

We got barely enough entries and I should have finished but I'll give you until tomorrow first chance I get (it's 10:40 PM here) for those in another time zone.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015

@Vanderwaal I don't think you're allowed to enter NaN...
    •  

... I feel we should have had someone verify Mathdude's number at the start to insure he doesn't change it....

I also feel I'm going to be one of the highest numbers.... oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Bio, I didn't choose NaN.
    •  

lol did you put "my number = Xyuzhg's number + Bio's number + .... /x * 3/4 :P
    •  

He gave me a calculus problem and told me to convert € to dollars.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015 edited

The results are in! The results are in!
    BioManiac R2 won...

I thought people would pick low numbers, so I thought the average would be around 5-10. The people who choose numbers like 42/69/70/84, their age, address, etc would drive up the answer. I went with pi because I thought 3/4 would throw the target to around 3.75 to 7.5, and with luck, I might be able to win.

I did not expect all these high numbers.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015

I expected one person would troll by saying a very high number. I was wrong. :/
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015 edited

I didn't expect that my lazy guess of 15 (my guess in the last version) would still get so close. :P

EDIT: Oh, and now that I've actually read Mathdude's whispers, I noticed that he did Vanderwaal's integral wrong. First, reverse engineering a little bit from how Mathdude314 wrote his working, the integral required was:
    (url)

The mistake he made was here: "For the first term, the answer is simply (0.51π)^(π+1), times 100/51. This is about 13.813." He forgot to divide by π+1 as per standard integration rules, so actually the value should've been 3.3353, and the integral result needed to be 15.4393 (using the natural logarithm) or 8.5920 (using the common logarithm).

Yes, that whisper was definitely not me, but Mathdude314. :P

How much this would've influenced the result, I care not. :P-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015

The interesting thing about my error is that it didn't change the results at all! It only moved the close call from Bio-YSNP, to me-Vand.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015

I agree with Mathdude's logic. I thought I was going to be one of the highest numbers and was thinking about changing my entry to "1" but decided meh, this entry is more interesting :P

I've updated the first post to reflect Vanderwaal's actual entry (15.4393) as well as the average and resulting 3/4.

Mathdude, the last part of your last post doesn't make sense xD "it only moved the close call from Bio-YSNP to me-Vand" - wut?

Vanderwaal's entry only shifted by ~-1.8, resulting in only a ~-.223 shift of the 3/4 average. Decreasing my error by ~.223 xD
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015

Dude! Please undo that!
    It wasn't 15.4393. He told me to convert €15.4393 to DOLLARS.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015

quite honestly none of your above posts make sense to me.

Post 2 says I win
    then further down it says "The results are in! The results are in! YSNP, congratulations!"
    then further down again you said, "my error ... didn't change the results at all! It only moved the close call from Bio-YSNP, to me-Vand."
    and now you say ""he told me to convert ... to DOLLARS"

I hope you realize this inconsistency leaves everyone confused, and fyi, no one actually knows what Vanderwaal told you, except you.
    If you want to use multiple posts to display results then be sure to edit them properly and do it right so we actually know what is going on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal

Bio, unless Vanderwaal has amnesia he should also know what he told Math.

By the way, do I know you? Also, am I supposed to know who Vanderwaal is? I'd like to meet him, because it sounds like he has amnesia as well.
    •  

derp. okay so I guess it seemed so obvious that you would know what you told him that I didn't include you... sorry?

btw - what did u tell him? cuz i'm still super confused. Vanderwaal (without integration or conversion required) what number did you intend to submit?
    •  

He intended to submit the integral, converted to dollars at the exchange rate when I determined the result. Bio, it's not nice to edit posts until you have the whole story.-----------------
    •  

Mathdude, I wouldn't have to edit it if you did it yourself!!! it's been 2 days since you released the "results" and you still haven't edited it to make any sense!!
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015

Bio, I can attest to the fact that he had edited the results, albeit stealthily and without any public notice. You've been misinterpreting multiple Mathdude314's posts lately, it seems, so you should hold back a little from direct post editing.-----------------
    •  

[on the third day] I see you finally got around to making sense of it all, although I only edited it once, and never messed anything up since it was wrong anyway...

Xyuzhg, he had not edit it before I did. Vanderwaal's entry that I changed stated ~17.2 and I changed it to ~15.4 (the result you posted of the integral), a difference of 1.8, which now it says Vanderwaal's entry is 16.99 which is not what I edited it from. Therefore I conclude I edited it before he did (unless he edited it but was still wrong...)
    •  

That's because I forgot what the exchange rate was then, so I had to recalculate it.

Moral: Don't allow users to issue their answers in any way except directly.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015 edited

... I don't think the exchange rate has changed that much in 2 days has it ? O_o ...

that aside, although I do think the idea of varying answers relying on some other form of conversion such as currency is interesting, it needs to be stated when that exchange is to be calculated and it needs to be stated what values will be used for the conversion. This will eliminate discrepancy and confusion.

I think it should be said what the entry was in the first post (er, in this case second) as it was submitted. You only provided the numerical representation of the numbers, cropped off at 4 digits. This would be where the conversion numbers would be stated, next to entries simply copy/pasted from the whisper. Ie, your entry says the pi symbol, mine pi^2, Vanderwaal's shows the integral and conversion, etc.

example:

Mathdude: (pi) = 3.14159

Bio: (pi)^2 = 9.8696

Vanderwaal: integral from 0 to PI of (.51x)^PI ... (or just show the picture, simply copy paste what he whispered you) ... with conversion (also copy pasted) ... at time (this part says when, and what conversion is required) ... = ...
    •  

Failure... who *EVER* writes "3.13" in pi?-----------------
    •  

uhm... people who make keyboard errors and were doing other things so they didn't look?

you were the one who left it at four digits with 3.1415 (not 3.1416)

but errors aside, do you agree with what I said..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015 edited

Well, it looks like my number is causing some commotion, so this was my whisper:

I want you to convert € (url) into dollars according to the exchange rate the moment you determine the results.

Good luck finding out what my number is. :P

According to Wolframa Alpha this integral is equal to 15.4393. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...

I don't know which exchange rate Math used, but four days ago, 11 july 2015, the exchange rate was about €1 = $1.1156. http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=E... For some reason the exchange rate was almost the same the whole day, so I suppose the exact time isn't even important.

This would make my number 17.2241 (rounded to four decimals).
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015

now THAT is a good post. Thank you Vanderwaal for clearly explaining why everything is the number it is. Thumbs up !!

I will let Mathdude314 edit his first post so I that I don't make him mad... again

I want to say again that I do really like this dynamic number Idea, but again, the day of the results, all the entries should look like Vanderwaal's above (if necessary) and be well explained and documented.
    •  

Nah, I'll just require that the number has to be obtainable when you write it. So you can give me a calculus problem but you can't do exchange rate tricks.-----------------
    •  

...that really defeats the point of having a complex number tho... the only point of having one would be to confuse you, which vanderwaal succeeded in.

I do not see the point in having integrals or calculations in your number. As I stated in one of the first posts, you can just enter it into WolframAlpha.

Dynamic numbers I do find more interesting as they actually have a purpose in being complicated.
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2015

dead last yeah!
    XD-----------------
    puzzled