Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015 edited

The moment you might have been waiting for is here! Well... sort of. It's very unfinished. Please comment with bugs, features, balancing issues, etc.

Well, I'd like to present what I believe to be my first ever multiplayer, coded-entirely-by-me, non-trivial game!

Setting up:
    • Enter your username and go!
    • Press "Join a Random Game" to start a game. If no one is on, open 2 windows/tabs of the same game and play yourself (or someone else!)
    Game rules:
    • You have three tanks and two towers. You have 10 moves (may change later) per turn, and each tank has its own energy levels.
    • Tanks move forward and backward only, and rotate 90°.
    • Towers can move sideways in four directions. Because of this it takes them less moves to get to a certain location. They also are strong but don\'t have cannons so they can\'t shoot. A tank can shoot once per turn.
    • Shooting: Tanks can shoot once per turn. The normal tanks do 1 damage and the strong tanks do 1.5 damage.
    Controls:
    • Click one of your (blue) tanks to select it.
    • The buttons on the right let you move, turn, and shoot.
    • Press "End Turn" to end your turn whenever you want.

• The towers may not be in sync, which would eventually lead to chaos (unconfirmed)

• Different maps (I could easily add a check that prevents people with different maps from playing each other)
    • Different initial tank configurations (see above)
      – I\'m thinking that I\'d have four maps or so, and three tank configurations for each. They would be based on scene number, and I\'d merge in the scene.
    • Map features: portals, switching walls, lava, pushing tanks
    • Different goals (destroy all tanks? destroy item on opponent\'s side? infiltrate to last row?)
    • Improve the UI

Nothing yet.

• I like to go for an invasion on the left side, taking a tower and a normal tank, and sometimes a heavy tank unless I need it on the right. I also like plugging up the center path with a tower. Then, I go on an invasion. If they get through the center, no biggie since all my forces are on the other side. However, I haven\\\'t played an actual game of this so I don\\\'t know if it\\\'s good or not...

Post your own!

I have unused scenes and tank graphics in there, and I'm considering adding a new tank type. However, adding new colors will mess up the system since the modules are based on mod-4 arithmetic and adding more tank types does more than adding more colors.

WARNING!!!! Changing the colors may permanently mess up the game, or even crash your Flash Player (though it\'s not likely)!
    THE GAME

Originally, the towers had 2 EP due to greater ease of mobility (you don't have to turn them), but I set them to 4 EP later as they were almost unusable.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015

Well, I tried it once and everything broke. The two games got totally out of sync and after some time it was player 2's turn, but he wasn't able to do a thing.
    https://i.gyazo.com/5d3f1cc69417715c028e9360bfc71668.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)

I want to face an AI.... can there be an AI ?
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015 edited

Ok, to help me fix the out-of-sync problem, please be very observant next time and the exact moment it becomes out of sync, state what move you just played, and what's on the other screen.

EDIT: Seems to be a bug on the towers. Gotta fix that.

EDIT 2: Simple fix. Forgot to check the tower's movements in the OnChannelMessage handler...

EDIT 3: AI? No way! Too complicated...-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  

i haven't played yet so idk what to do... can I make an AI then ?
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015

Sure.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015 edited

18:48 CRT: So I started to add the ability to change your tank colors... but it turned out that it was going to be MUCH harder than I expected it to be. I would need to get the array of all tanks, loop through that, and then change the function.

I'll try to do this, but I might fail so please, please, please don't use the customization in a real game until I give you the ok!

EDIT: The play code is exceeding 10 KB. I might need to move this to phyard.com, so I'd like to know what the current post limit is. I'm pretty sure I have at least 20 KB available, but I'm not sure what it actually is.

19:04 CRT: Up and running. Be careful though.

19:12 CRT: Yep, done! Easier than I thought. Now, on to extra maps :)-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015

so i decided to play even though I can't face an opponent and found at least 10 bugs.... I also somehow messed up the sync...

https://i.gyazo.com/884b86f97bc5bdbee82ab4af13f043b7.png

•  
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015 edited

You obviously hacked something. There's no way a tank could have 4999999999988 energy, and the colors on the color changer are just not correct. Please try again.

As for out of sync, watch VERY CLOSELY until the FIRST time they are not in sync, and then say what you did and what bugged.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015 edited

Fixed another issue of blindly copying and forgetting to change everything. Being shot by the opponent made your tank lose the health of YOUR tank...

12271 bytes-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015

I obviously took those screenshots from the forums so those are things that are clearly possible in the game.
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015

I still don't get what happened with the colors, but ok. Problem solved?-----------------