Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMadball (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited

I tried to make a game with a grappling hook, but jointed objects don't work fine when maniuplated by triggers.
    Instead, here is a classic goldberg. It's possible to make the hook rotate by itself just by adding another circle+hinge pair to it.

And here is my try to make a game. Unrealistic player and overly realistic hook.

(By the way, multiplayer API seems glitchy. You say "Player1337", you hear "Player133w".)-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

nice goldberg! It seems more like an extended arm than a hookshot tho, it needs to "shoot" like the player one and then it'd be awesome! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015 edited

Here, I got an almost-working system. Left/right to move, space/X to grapple, C/down to detach:

Bugs:
    - You cannot collide with shapes you grapple to (FIXED)
    - You cannot retract the hook Fixed, press C or Down. Really this time.

Also contains an open source vector-manipulation class. It made the job MUCH easier! When I finish it I'll post a standalone level.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

@Mathdude314: This is so far away from what I planned it to be. Your one functions more like a bungee. But I like that it uses more triggers and less joints.

I think there is two ways to make it work: to make it use as less scripting as possible and rely on joints, or to remake physics from scratch, in a simpler form. Both seem difficult.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

hmm... first I thought my Hook Shot from BioTank was the best, but then I realized it was also more of a bungee.... tried adding the sliding joint, but that messed everything up.

I suspect I need to add two rotational joints, one on each end of the slider, to get it to work the way I intend it to...

•  
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015 edited

I managed to lose the boulder, but then of course everything bugs out just as I try to clear the part where the first spike ball WAS.

I'm pretty sure that this can only work if there's some kind of "set joint disabled", so the joint's physical implications are what is turned off (basically, made into a dummy joint), not the motor or limits. Take this failed attempt:

No matter what I try, it fails. A distance joint means you can only grapple a certain distance away. A slider means they have to be on the same axis.

Well, I had fun creating a level...
    There are several trick involved... you might have to try grappling to a counter-intuitive position.
    -----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015

I think the grappling hook physics are getting a lot closer, but still very glitchy. Sometimes the gravity is still really screwed up after I release the hook.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015 edited

Interesting Level Mathdude, but uhm, might work better if you only go toward the direction when actually grappled onto something. You can rapidly press space, not hit anything, and still move that way. or continuously move toward purple blocks. still very fun tho.
    •  

@Mathdude: nice job, but still buggy. Have you seen what happens when you try to grapple a purple block? And if you shoot into the air?
    @BioManiac: "I suspect I need to add two rotational joints" - that's exactly what I did.

Have any of you played "Give Up, Robot?" That's my inspiration. I'm pretty sure it doesn't use Box2D, and it doesn't have all these bugs our versions have.

I remember that I had made something that allows making joints with triggers. I found this: http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm... , and also a slider trigger in the warethread, but I'm pretty sure I missed something. I think this is a good replacement for joints, and trigger-friendly too.-----------------
    LD35!
    •  

Sounds like a job for my 2D vector library!

EDIT: Seemed cool until you grapple to a space between a purple and grey platform... any way to fix?
    -----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)

O_O
    Wow, it really does error pretty badly...-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  

so.... I basically got it to work... only problem is... we don't have many slider APIs....

missing includes:

Slider Motor ON / OFF
    Set slider translation
    set slider motor force

.... so I have to use set slider speed... which doesn't work so well...
    •  

ok so here's the best I could get with Set Slider Speed...

I tried to pick a good Force which would not mess up the tank when it hooks onto things, but still has enough force to pull it up cliffs.

I should mention there's a weird problem when it shoots backwards and I don't really know why... the slider just flips direction on its own...

• CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)

clearly what you do if tilt the gun in the direction opposite that you want, mash fire, and use the momentum to fly ^.^

math, what are the controls to control your hook?-----------------
    puzzled
    •  

I was able to make it past the 3rd part and onto the 4th part without crashing, but I was also able to make the game crash while trying to climb the side walls (in the editor) as well as when trying to get up to the 3rd section on the right side. The crash has something to do with the purple blocks and then it keeping the velocities as if it did hit the purple block. the next time you press space after that it crashes...
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015 edited

I'm stuck on the second to last platform (the T-shaped one). Don't want to release hook for fear of death.
    EDIT: Aaand... death.-----------------