Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

I came up with an idea for a game, but it's not working out how I want it to (left/right to move, S/D to spin the sword).

The goal is to knock the enemy into orbit. However, the sword is kinda crazy, and I want it to be able to knock the enemy, but not affect you. In mid-air, your only control should be of the sword.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)

This is probably one of the weirdest games I've ever played xD
    •  

That was quite unhelpful. I was looking for advice, as is evident from the category.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  

erm... make the gravity more exponential, so, much stronger on the planet, but much weaker above the planet so that you fly away and lose.
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

sigh-----------------
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited

I managed on my first try to get the red guy in a perfect spiraling elliptical orbit
    VERY interesting idea :D

Edit: I say keep this version because this is SO fun!
    Try to balance yourself on your stick, then hold left or right for INTENSE speed and then move the sword away.
    Also I did knock blue guy into orbit, it is possible.
    This is one of your best games Mathdude :D-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited

The idea is you'd play a human or an AI. However, I don't like the crazy movements caused by the stick hitting the ground. I want the stick's density to be less than the player's density, but then the stick can't damage the enemy.

Unless... I could find a way to place shock absorbers in the sword-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

I don't get it... why the "sigh" ? I gave you my advice to which I think the game would improve greatly (and be more realistic)

I found myself going around the planet and throwing myself into orbit in order to try and catch the other vehicle going around the planet.

If a vehicle on earth was able to throw itself into orbit by simply travelling on the surface.....
    (but then again, what vehicle can go around the earth in a matter of seconds... maybe doing so would throw it into orbit? I will look into this more...)
    •  

... doing a little simple math and using google to find the radius of the earth, I've calculated that it would be impossible to circulate the earth in a matter of seconds using only gravity,

it would take 1.4 hours at earth's surface at a speed of ~7.901632 km/s. Going any faster would slowly propel you away from the earth's surface into orbit.

In order to circulate the earth in 6 seconds (the estimated time to get around the circle in the level above) you would need to travel at a speed of ~6671.7 km/s which would surely launch you far off the earth.

But thinking farther into this, relative to the size of the mass you are orbiting, the player's size would be about the size of a small moon and would affect the planet and their gravities and positions would come into play... I think this is how you should do the gravity, using the distance relative formula and simulate a good gravity on the surface but much lower higher up.
    •  

I don't really care about realism like that. I want a way to make your sword do a lot of damage to the enemy, but not throw you off... although, if you are in orbit and come near the planet, you should be able to use it to resist your velocity... ugh!-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015 edited

I find Torque makes a big difference than step angular momentum.

Try using this as a base. Complete with squared inverse gravity and time limit until win / lose.

I also changed the speeds and frictions some. Change whatever you like and see what you think is best.

EDIT: added a double gravity button because this seemed too easy.

•  
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

"I find Torque makes a big difference than step angular momentum." WHat???-----------------
    •  

they are two different APIs. maybe I said the 2nd one wrong, but look at the design in the editor and see what I used.

Also, glad you liked the implementation, I'm glad I could help.
    •  

This still seems a bit erratic... would it be possible to make an AI for this game?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015 edited

what is erratic about it? I think it works very well.

I will try and work on an AI later today if I have time after Christmas shopping, card making, and EE playing xD
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015

Well, the sword can still make you jump... although maybe that's a good thing.

(1) You should color the timers and make them count seconds, not steps.
    (2) My original idea was that you have to be on the ground to score a win. If both players are in the air and one player's 20 seconds are up, the win goes to whichever player was in the air less time, not who hits the ground first. (Ex: 19 seconds after P1 orbits, P2 lets go as well. P1 hits the ground 5 seconds later and P2 hits shortly after that. P2 never even hit 20 seconds and surely shouldn't lose.)-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016

I agree with the AI idea. It's too hard to find another player in real life.

Plus, by the way, when you are knocked off planet, and float away, it says "You Lose". Well, this works, but you should either make the entity static, or just delete it altogether. Otherwise, if you wait long enough, gravity will eventually slow you down enough, given enough time, and you will make it back to the planet. Though the father out you drift, the exponentially longer this process takes.

Oh! And maybe add like a restitution to the tip of your weapon, to really "stab" your opponent, and fling them back.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

I actually completely forgot about this, what with going back to school and my laptop breaking and all, I will leave this tab open and try to remember to find time to make an AI now.
    •  

Shouldn't be that hard. All you need to do is create a line running straight through the middle of the planet, from the AI's location. If the player is on the left side of that line, move counter clockwise to get to the player. Otherwise move clockwise. (Note, if the AI is below the center of the planet, switch these directions.)

Next, make sure the jousting stick is always straight forward of the direction is traveling. You'll have to balance it like a segway, so good luck. Finally, check if the AI is touching the planet or not. If it's not, then it's floating away, and it needs to calm itself to stop energy from flinging it further into space.

I hope that helps, or at least gives an idea on a better way to do it.-----------------
    •  

unfortunately I think it may be a bit more complicated then that, because The "stick" isn't very useful to just push the player off, it has to get them on top and then throw them off... Simply ramming them I do not think is enough to win.

Also movement is more complicated than simply moving toward the player. I was hoping to add a random aspect where the AI would randomly go around the far way toward the player, as it would be more effective in gaining speed and then throwing them... but these player strategies may be a bit harder to implement with an AI...
    •  

True.

You know, this got me thinking,
    being as CIE's coding language is modular, like it is, could an evolutionary learning algorithm be used to generate a base code for playing against the player? It would just play against itself, and constantly learn how to overcome it's weaknesses as it evolves. Then Once the code it strong enough, it could be cleaned up by hand, and implemented into CIE. This is all theoretical, and would be very difficult to do with physics or any no specific rules enabled, as the AI would be adapted to a different environment then presented. But could something like this be done? Not for this project, but another. I would like to see this.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016

Yeah... It would have really been cool to fling enemies off the map, but....-----------------