Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016

After surfing the internet for a while, I stumbled across an interesting site.
    http://vindinium.org/

The concept is simple. There's an arena, withe four bots. Each bot is controlled by a programed AI that you write. The four AIs battle it out, and collect gold. At the end of a set number of turns, whoever has the most gold wins.

Obviously, I jumped at the idea of competitive AI battles. (Still coding my bot, but that's besides the point). So my idea was to preform a similar battle system on here. A challenge where two users can each code a script for their bot and have them battle it out. We've done this a few times before,
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...

But this time it's a little different. Instead of building the bot, you'll just be coding it.
    Now, I would like everyone's help to design an arena, and a way to code the AI without easily cheating. Any suggestions?-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016

You could write functions that do stuff like shoot, etc. Then people can only use those commands when coding their robot. Obviously variables and if statements and stuff like that are allowed too.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2016 edited

Will this be with or without gravity? I could design a simple with-gravity arena or a complex non-gravity one.
    Do we all have one robot or do you make different bots with unique abilities?

I'd like to see a disintegration ray (with a 20 second cool down), cannon, sword, etc. The "weight virus" (a projectile that has little mass and embeds in the first thing it touches, then gets really heavy really fast) would be interesting.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016

Alright, sounds cool. I haven't started to develop the level yet, so I don't know what it will look like, or how thew fights will actually work. But I'm hoping to have something with lots of choices. Otherwise we'll find a "win-all" solution too quickly. Gravity would also probably be better, because there's more randomness in those kind of environments.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016

We need some rules.

Arena Dimensions must be 1200x800 or 1280x960. The viewport size then is half the arena dimension.

This gravity arena can be made into a simple one by deleting/disabling the timer.
    Objective: knock the opponent off.

Unfortunately, this isn\'t good enough. How will we differentiate an expendable piece or some debris falling off, vs. all of the bot except some expendable piece falling off, vs. an actual win?
    -----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016

Well, one thing you could try is to have a bot with a special ball inside. And the goal of the match is to knock the other bot's ball out of bounds, while protecting your own.

Also it should be a slightly large course. (Like smaller bots.)

I'm diving into the editor now to play with some ideas.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016 edited

Made a cave generator. You can define any board size by changing only a single variable in the initializer trigger. Current size is 50x50.

-----------------
    •  

Edit, made it a little bigger, so it's easier to see.-----------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)

Very nice cave generator!
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016

Guys, there hasn't been anything for 3 days. Not sure how this is going to work.
    Can you give any ideas on what the robots should do?-----------------
    •  

I wonder how this bot would work:

The idea is the gun would shoot really small really light particles at immense speed that would destroy themselves at first collision.-----------------
    •  

Yeah, I think we should add weapons. Maybe guns with limited ammo? And melee weapons of varying speed and strength.-----------------
    •  

I'm working another advancement for my care generator environment. I want to use that for one area.-----------------
    •  

Limited ammo would be nice. I don't think you should be able to shoot 20

Cave generator? How would that work? We'd need to completely change the bots to fit that.-----------------
    •  

You see, we need very complex bots with lots of options. In the past, we relied on simple timers and motors always moving in the same direction. Now we need to be able to have multiple strategies. I'm actually for having no gravity, so that we can have it defend and attack and such.

TheDudeFromCI, I have a question. You said in the original robot battles thread people would whisper you their bots? Are there any bots there that were whispered?-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016

The cave generator would work by making a grid-base, top down style, with commands like move up 1, move down 1, etc. You once made a script base challenge that worked in a similar fashion. Face up, shoot, turn left, what's in front of me, and how far? And so on. I'm starting to lean more towards this system, because users could lean away playing with the nonsense of physics and gravity, and random collision glitches, and more on the strategy of the battle. The randomness is still there, but only in unintended places. Like the shape of the map, player locations, item placements and strengths, and less on other factors.

Also, to answer your other question, I do not have any whispers, in this thread, or any of the three threads listed above.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016 edited

Oh yeah! I remember that challenge! Though my cannon idea would have been interesting. Oh well.
    But we shouldn't allow moving off the edge unless it's always possible to get back.

Strategy. Strategy. Strategy.-----------------