Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016 edited

This challenge is about getting all the way across the 60-meter pit.
    Bonus: Can you get the yellow across and successfully place it in the slot to solve the AUTOMATIC CI goldberg level?

Build in the spirit of the challenge!

———————————

Heck, some fun user-controlled entries might be good, as long as they aren't too easy or too hard.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorXyuzhg (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016 edited

Yes, this is not a good challenge. You openly accept that this is excessively difficult to complete within the rules, so why not just relax the rules?

I understand that you're avoiding solutions that fling the ball over to the other side, but there are much better ways than limiting creativity. For instance, initial spring length could've been used for collision control and timed joint release with sufficient tweaking. With the current ruleset any potential solutions will simply utilize loopholes because the level is otherwise too restrictive.

I also doubt that you actually tested the level. Despite speed clearly not being the main aspect of this challenge, you force the solution to reach past the midway point very quickly to catch the descending platform. This platform disappears within 140 steps - by the default simulation step time length, that's 5.6 seconds.

Additionally, if you really wanted to avoid ball-flinging solutions, then you could've made the roof solid and extend the entire level - the current design still allows for firing the ball upward if anyone figures out a way to give it artificial initial speed.

A good challenge is one that doesn't immediately make solvers look for loopholes. The 'spirit' of a challenge comes not from the solvers, but from the design of the challenge itself.-----------------
    Hopefully PA is inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016

Okay, so here's what I did:
    (1) I fixed the rocks so that they don't disappear too soon. (I didn't worry about the beginning platform, because you can pass that in seconds.)
    (2) The roof was extended.
    (3) I placed the slot at a more natural level, and now I declare the slot a bonus objective.
    (4) Perhaps I should make what the original intent was. It was going to be a closed arena with two "ropes" per player, but that didn't work out so I made this.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...