Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAlexi247
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

-----------------
    Any helps for beginners?
    • CommentAuthorAlexi247
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

If I made a platform a restitution 1000 then the ball disappears xD-----------------
    Any helps for beginners?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016 edited

That's not a bug, really. The restitution is how much speed is retained after a bounce. Here, Phyard uses the higher of the two values.
    So if you have restitution 0.5, when the object rebounds it will have half of its velocity.
    TLDR: So at 1,000 the ball would go so fast that it is off the screen before you see it.

Long Version
    NOTE that this is NOT the same as half the HEIGHT! A property of gravity is that doubling the speed actually quadruples the height.

(The left five all bounce the same because the floor also has 0.5)

————————————

Restitution works fine if both are between 0 and 1 inclusive. But what about greater than 1? Well, as you would expect, restitution 2 would bounce it twice as fast (and 4x height), etc.
    Your 1000 value is so extreme that before you can even see it, it is already so far off the screen you couldn't see it at 1/32 zoom with an indicator arrow.

————————————

I frequently use values like 8 for lifts. Like here:

I think I used 4 because 8 caused then to bounce back and go into the launcher again.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDudeFromCI (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016 edited

All real world material have a restitution between 0 and 1, exclusive.-----------------
    Orange is my favorite number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

Something to note is that it doesn't really make sense to define the restitution of a particular object — only for two surfaces colliding.
    CIE gets around this by choosing the higher of the two, so if you have a 0.15 shape bouncing off a 0.75 floor, then the velocity will be multiplied by 0.75-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    • CommentAuthorAlexi247
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016

Ok
    Math, your good at computing xD I'm Grade 5 xD-----------------
    Any helps for beginners?