Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016 edited

As I have made a return to this forum, I decided to spruce things up with a rather unusual challenge.

How it works:
    Randomly for 300 ticks, a yellow circle is cloned into the red region.
    After the 300 ticks, the original clone shape is destroyed.

The rules are simple:
    Build stuff in the green regions to guide as many balls as possible into the blue region at the very bottom.
    Nothing you build may enter the red region.
    You can not use anything that requires user input.
    You may not change any existing object.
    You CAN use triggers, but don't do something that completely breaks the spirit of the challenge, such as teleporting every yellow object to a certain location etc.

The only catch:
    The ONLY physical object you can use are circles.

So basically everything allowed:
    Circles
    Joints
    Force/Torque/Impulse Power Sources
    Smart Triggers™
    Gravity

This will be rated by a scoring system where each ball in the region is 1 point.
    Please post your entry as well as a picture of your best success for scoring purposes.

Scores:
    EVERYONE WINS

CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

you say we need to build in the green region? Does that mean we need to STAY in the green region? I assume not since it says don't go in the red region?

also, to what extent can we build triggers? What's to stop me from building a robot that literally gets all yellow shapes and pushes them into the correct spot :P ?
    •  

Also, I'd like to add a rule to this to allow the challenge to progress to more than just Xyuzhg winning;

You should ONLY post a solution if it beats the current winner by a FEW,
    so basically I don't want this to be a competition of who can and who cannot get all of them in on their first try *glares at Xyuzhg*
    also because I'd like to post multiple solutions of varying strategies and efficiencies.

My first solution: I did absolutely nothing and got a score of 4 :D Who can beat me?

Lol Bio.
    Yes, your design can leave the green regions as long as it doesn't enter the red ones.
    And that seems like a reasonable idea Bio.
    As for triggers, If you want to build a robot, go ahead, but keep is reasonable in the spirit of the challenge.
    This isn't about winning, this is about creativity.
    Also, no picture proof of your score of 4 Bio :P-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited

This isn't exactly an entry but (I mean I guess it could be but it's too simple and dumb... anyway) I wanted to run a few tests on a few things...

WHY DID YOU MAKE THE LEVEL SO DARN BIG. I had to zoom IN in order to see my score counter ON THE LARGEST TEXT SIZE.
    Working with triggers and other objects is actually extremely difficult...

Also your level crashes on my mac often. It has to do with the parallel computing of a mac, it runs the "destroy entity 7" then parallel it runs "clone entity 7" and crashes...
    I added a line of code but it still crashes sometimes sadly. works maybe 66% of the time. I also moved the score dot lower to keep it more in the bottom area

Also, why is the total number of balls not a constant? I can kinda understand the idea of randomness, but why a random number too?

You guys are all free to use my code for the scoring and for the totals in your designs to help keep track of stuffs.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016

I think you should select everything, scale it to 12.5%, and zoom in three times.
    Then adjust gravity correctly.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016

sadly I tried something like that, but due to inaccuracies in torques and such it didn't work the same :(
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016

Then scale those down as well.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016 edited

Here we go:

NOW it is actually possible to play!
    Notice
    I scaled everything down by a factor of 8. However torques and forces are different.
    • Forces are cubic, so you have to scale down by 8 cubed or 512. This is because you are also changing the mass of the shapes, and since they are 2D you have an extra m^2 in the calculation. (This is assuming you want the same ACCELERATION. If you want the same FORCE, just scale down by 8.)
    • Torques are quartic. Scale down by 8^4 = 4,096. You have m^2 from the shape size, and m^2 for Torque = Force * Distance, and force and distance are linear.
    • Positions, velocities, and accelerations are all scaled down by 8.
    • Angles are not scaled at all obviously.-----------------
    •  
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016

Here is an entry:

Still a bit difficult to use. Nine missed completely on my last test while one got stuck on the right ramp.-----------------
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016

Lol I completely gave up on this because I deemed the challenge too stupid XD-----------------
    puzzled
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016

I think Mathdude wins xD

I completely forgot because I haven't been on the forum in so long now...