Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMathdude314 (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016

So I was inspired by puzzle geek's very old version of grow tower. But I wanted to do it with my own shapes. However, there is just something... lacking.

Obviously there are two pairs which need to go one after the other. But after that, order is completely arbitrary. Yes, I could add "spikes" or something to make every piece unique, but then the puzzle becomes trivial. I want ideas for objects that interact in non-obvious ways, yet with minimal "magic" and absolutely no pure randomness. So, any advice?

No, this is not supposed to be drop and bounce. It is slightly different — you try to make the tower as tall as you can.

(Oh, and I remembered source code while looking over my post... I am glad I caught that!)-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    Currently working on a one-round no-elimination quick RP game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBioManiac R2 (Moderator)
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016

the main component you are missing is that the blocks don't do anything. All grow games I have played, all, or most blocks do something, and every time you pick a new block they re-do their animations, and you try to chain the best order together.

therefore in order to win you need to at least know a little about what each block does before you get it right. so unless you're really lucky, you usually dont get it the first try, but the 2nd or 3rd try you get closer each time since you know what each block does and have a good idea of how to make them interact. examples include a plant block, a block that randomly drops water on the block below it, another block that eats other blocks to gain another effect, etc.

here's the original I played. There are tons of other grow games on this site, not towers though, but still a lot of fun puzzles.
    http://www.eyezmaze.com/eyezblog_en/...
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016

I see. Good idea, perhaps I will improve this.-----------------
    If less people are active, that will only make for even less activity. Start making those designs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVanderwaal
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2016

Puzzle Geek's Grow Tower? Do you mean Madball's Grow Tower?
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...
    •  
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2016

No, I mean Puzzle Geek's Grow Tower.
    http://forum.colorinfection.com/comm...-----------------
    • CommentAuthorpuzzle geek (Advanced Member)
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2016

We need more classic designs like that. I'll put that on my to-do list...
    My rather long to-do list...-----------------
    puzzled